Pellet Style Powder VS. Loose Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
I have ALWAYS shot loose powder (Goex Black, 777, Pyrodex) in all my ML'ers both traditional and Inlines. But I'm curious? Have any of you ever had better success (group wise) with pellets than with loose forms of powder? I always like to experiment, and wondering if it would be worth exploring such an endeavor?

I'm new so I can't offer any words of wisdom . But I chose loose powder for 3 reasons . 1 because most folks here recommended it . 2 because it's cheaper in the long run after buying the measure and tubes . And 3 I like to tinker .

My personal experience is that old (as in decades old) pellets have not been reliable while ancient (some over 50 years old) black powder still shoots fine. "Pffft" is not the sound of a reliable charge.

I only tried pellets once and only because they were given to me. They seemed to be OK.
Some people do like them and get good results.
I think that dollar for dollar, they're expensive compared to buying a pound of loose powder.

I think the odds of getting better groups with pellets vs loose powder are very long since you have very limited amounts to work with. Loose is only “better” because you have virtually unlimited options as far as weight. That said all sorts of people get good results with pellets.

Black powder never gets old. Therefore, it performs better if saved year after year. With that said, I’ll always use loose substitutes over pellets for the simple fact that it is easier to ignore. Not to mention, you can tune your load.

I think the odds of getting better groups with pellets vs loose powder are very long since you have very limited amounts to work with. Loose is only “better” because you have virtually unlimited options as far as weight. That said all sorts of people get good results with pellets.
Bingo

I have shot both loose and pellet 777 and Pyrodex powder for years. I never had the pellets shoot better groups than loose, but they hang right in there with the loose. Just make sure the pellets are complete and not chipped or cracked. I use the pellets while late season hunting deer as they are easier for me to load when it’s cold/freezing out.

Years back I bought up a bunch of Pyrodex pellets, off a clearance rack at Wally World, thought I was set for life, at a bargain price. Flash forward 3 or 4 years and I was shooting my .50 cal. to check the zero before deer season. It shot some crazy groups, all over the paper and had a couple of shoots that barely shot at all. I was very confused about it because this gun and pellet combo had been shooting outstanding groups. Finally contacted a very knowledgeable muzzleloader I knew and asked him to take a look at it. Before he would look at it, he asked me what I was shooting, I said Pyrodex pellets, he asked how old the pellets were and I said at least 4 or 5 years. He allowed he didn't have to look at it, the pellets had deteriorated and told me to get some black powered, loose Pyrodex or 777 or some Blackhorn 209 (this was about the time it had just come out) and it would fix my problem. He said he saw it all the time and not just with folks like me that bought up a bunch and stored it, but with folks that thought they bought fresh, but what they bought had been sitting on a shelf or in storage for years and they just figured it was fresh.
I haven't shot pellets since.

I found proper storage in a dry, humid controlled space eliminates the issue more so than the age of the pellets. They pick up moisture pretty easily and if they get soft/punky they do what you described. I use those little dessicant packs one gets in things all the time and layer them on top of pellets in the plastic container. Has worked great for me and have had no issues. I also push out my charges every night after hunting as they will grab moisture easily.

I have shot both and got good results with both but prefer the versatility of loose. If I buy powder in any quantity I vacuum pack any unopened containers immediately and in off season I seal up opened containers until needed. I rarely shoot pellets any more and have 3 or 4 boxes of T-7 that I would give to someone if they needed them. I have also put pellets in a dehydrator before sealing them up if I wasnt sure how long they had been sitting on the shelf. Not a problem these days as they disappear almost as fast as they hit the shelves.

Is pouring powder out of a tube that much harder than pouring pellets out of a tube? :think:

I have not found it to be and surely you carry pellets in something while hunting

i can see where pellets could be a advantage in windy/gusty conditions .....

Because I hunt with Whites and other BP guns, I just stick with loose 777. I use it up faster this way and it works across the board. I am not anti pellet at all.

Back