Pellets to powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1 raggedhole

Reaction score
This will be my second season owning my own muzzleloader. Ive used several different borrowed ones over the years all have used pellets. I want to make the switch over to powder and see if i cant get even better groups. Im shooting a cva accura pr with pyrodex pellets and barnes tez 250 gr. Im getting 2" to 3" groups at 100 yards. I know thats not bad shooting but want to see if i can push 200 yard shots. Any help would be great because ive never shot with anything but pellets. Thanks.

hi,

I posted a thread of my experience recently getting into muzzleloading. It has been quite fun. I started off with blackhorn 209 for a variety of reasons. The thread is:

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/a-huge-thank-you-and-a-question.33776/

I also posted a thread called "Newbie Help" which contains a ton of good info from some savvy folks here.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/newbie-help.33625/

Mind, I have shot less than 100 total shots, but so far the experiences I have had were pretty fun. I was able to punch a group just under 0.75" just the other week at 118 yards. My groups really strung out when I shot 110 grains of powder with the bullet/sabot i was using. I am still planning to test some other combos and try to increase the powder charge to get more velocity, but I haven't had the time yet.

I think the loose powder option was definitely the right choice for me, hopefully you find the results you are looking for. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Part of your grouping problems might be the amount of powder. You don't need huge amounts to get good groups. Play with the charge amount (don't be afraid to go down!) and seating pressure.

Depending on your powder choice and bullet choice, 80-90 grains loose Goex FFF have produced harvests for me, out-to 150 yards. Mostly all XTPs, anywhere from 200-300 grains.
I (somewhat) did a reverse of you a few years ago. I switched over and use 2 pellet loads, instead of Blackhorn 209 loose. That's with my Omega and Vision. In my sidelock, I'm still going with the Goex FFF.

In NY, real black is extremely hard to get.
I like Hogdon 777 FFG.

The short answer is that I would start 25-50 yards with 90 gr, shoot three times, then 95 gr, shoot three times, 100, 105, 110...… Once you find an accurate load, then extend the distance.

I have never needed to go over 110 gr of powder, and my elk load is 90-95 gr of powder. However, I don't shoot past 150 (open sights only) so if you are looking for a 200 yard load, you might have to exceed 100 gr of powder. That said YOU MOST LIKELY DO NOT NEED 150 GR OF POWDER!

You definitely don't need that much to kill an animal, and the added cost and recoil both make me cringe. So why not try lesser amounts and see what happens.

I know a 150g load is just to much and not needed. I'm going to work up a good load at 100 then move to 150 and then 200. I'm going to start with a light load and work up, was thinking about starting around 70g and just doing a lot of shooting

With loose powder, you get to see what your rifle really likes. I think it is part of the fun, with the experimenting and all.

My CVA Accura is sighted in (but not fine tuned) to 77gr (weighed) Blackhorn 209 with the Barnes 290gr TEZ. I have bumped it up to a max load of 84gr but the group opened up. I haven’t had a chance to slowly work the load up from 77gr to find that magic sweet spot. Anyways with this load my intended target this year was Moose (Antlerless) but the White-Tail season overlaps so instead of having multiple loads I loaded up one and whatever walked out of the bush deer or moose I knew I should be good to go!

It's amazing how much difference a small change in the charge can make. Up until this year I was using 100 grains of T7 FFG in my most used rifle. This was good for roughly 2 inch groups at 100 yards. This year I tried 110 grains. All of my 100 yard groups have been under one inch with most going 1/2 inch.

only things I would add... if shooting is prep for hunt, I suggest pellets for 2nd shots... Clean barrel first shots with powder at one target to get best cold barrel groups, dirty barrel 2nd shots at separate target with pellets for speed of reloading and to see what your gun does with warm barrel dirty shots (just like any 2nd shot in the field)...
Don't think there is a difference speed loading powder vs pellets? try it... especially if you have to do it laying down... spill your powder and who knows what your gun will do... you can pick up a pellet or grab another pellet and put it in the barrel.

Another factor is not all propellants are the same, 777 or B209 will have more energy than the same charge of Pyrodex, and some other substitutes. I know speed isn’t everything, but factors in for longer shooting distances.

Fill up a few speedloaders and loose is as fast as any pellets with reloading in the field.

Loose is cheaper and more accurate. If you do it right, you don't need a second shot. I was shooting 150 gr loose and 400 gr bullets for elk, and beating myself up for nothing. My elk load now is 115 gr 777 and 405 gr. .458 Remington. DRT on elk out to 220 yards. Try different bullets. Harvester Scorpion PTs shoot very well in my rifle.

Back