Pellets vs Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't be satisfied with that.
Up until two years ago I shot similar loads you are using and never happy with results.
After reading about the benefits of 209BH loose powder I changed. Accuracy is much better and there are no crude rings plus the clean up not nearly as difficult.

View attachment 16411I am not certain but if those are 1/2” squares that looks like a 1 1/2 group to me. My Triumph with T7 can do that.ED526D42-A1C2-43A5-B8A9-3ECFCD94BE80.jpegED526D42-A1C2-43A5-B8A9-3ECFCD94BE80.jpeg

The target rusticbob posted is 1" squares with the shockwaves in the photo. I've shot the same targets by the hundreds.
"Smart one" ????? Ok, I'll play............
Ok! Thought comment was at my target. I made mine in Excel program to meet my needs and it's cheap.

Last edited:
Ok! Thought comment was at my target. I made mine in Excel program to meet my needs and it's cheap.
You say your target squares are 1/2" but your .50 cal shot holes only cover about half of one square. Maybe that is why some folks are confused and call the squares 1"

You say your target squares are 1/2" but your .50 cal shot holes only cover about half of one square. Maybe that is why some folks are confused and call the squares 1"
The 250 gr SST has a sabot which is slightly over 0.5" but the bullet is 0.451" dia with a sharp nose so go figure it will not leave a half inch hole. Take a closer look at photo cut out below the bullet hole at the lower left is almost centered in the square but slightly right so the actual bullet print is more like 0.451" diameter.

20210920_000718.jpg

Last edited:
I used pellets for 20 years. I tried BH209 last year and felt the small benefit in accuracy does not outweigh the hassle of loose powder in the field. I have never needed to shoot over 75 yds so an inch means nothing to me. I would rather have a load I can control in windy, cold conditions. Went back to pellets.

Weighing lots of pellets over the years, I've found a 3-4 grain variation in a pack of pellets to be pretty common. Just weighed a bunch of White Hots. Lightest 32.0 grains, heaviest 34.1 grains. That's pretty good. They could be segregated by weight to get 3-pellet loads within 1-1.5 of each other. Personally, I don't think it's necessary.

I used pellets for 20 years. I tried BH209 last year and felt the small benefit in accuracy does not outweigh the hassle of loose powder in the field. I have never needed to shoot over 75 yds so an inch means nothing to me. I would rather have a load I can control in windy, cold conditions. Went back to pellets.

I do like the ease of using pellets. Excellent point about the weather conditions.

Pellets should never be weighed except for anything other than someone's curiosity. They've never been subject to weight, but are volume equivalent only.

Why would a granular propellant held together with a binder, compressed into a pellet not be subject to weight?

It's no hassle at all if some forethought is employed. Pre-weighed charges in a speed loader tube nullifies your objection. And this is a muzzleloader we're talking about...one and done...ideally anyway.

I get calls all the time from folks using pellets and having issues with accuracy... Typical complaints mention it worked good a while back but not now. Once they tell me that, I usually work it out through talking with them to get them them to realize that they are still shooting a pack of pellets they bought a long while back, on close out ,and did not keep in a cool dry sealed container with descant. Sometimes folk's light bulbs come on... others just think that isn't how this works... pellets are "magical" and don't require any protection from humidity and special handling and age without any troubles.

So like just about anything, mileage varies depending on the Individual's attention to pertinent details... Like keeping your propellant/powder/pellets in cool dry sealed containers. Like understanding the pellets were never in a sealed container and sat on the shelf for who knows how long sorta help to manage their effectiveness.

Pellets are made to sell folks something they believe will make it easier... in doing so they compromise many things... namely being able to dial in a load to what a rifle really likes.

There are plenty of ways to make loose powder just about if not exactly as convenient, like speed loaders etc (as previously mentioned). Just the fact that loose powder comes in a container with a cap that seals gives it long term storage advantages... putting both of them in a sealed container with desiccant and storing them in a cool dry place helps either.

It should be clear I like and use loose powder. But I don't ever tell folks that pellets are bad... just that they have to manage the "pluses" and "minuses" with either one.

I get calls all the time from folks using pellets and having issues with accuracy... Typical complaints mention it worked good a while back but not now. Once they tell me that, I usually work it out through talking with them to get them them to realize that they are still shooting a pack of pellets they bought a long while back, on close out ,and did not keep in a cool dry sealed container with descant. Sometimes folk's light bulbs come on... others just think that isn't how this works... pellets are "magical" and don't require any protection from humidity and special handling and age without any troubles.

So like just about anything, mileage varies depending on the Individual's attention to pertinent details... Like keeping your propellant/powder/pellets in cool dry sealed containers. Like understanding the pellets were never in a sealed container and sat on the shelf for who knows how long sorta help to manage their effectiveness.

Pellets are made to sell folks something they believe will make it easier... in doing so they compromise many things... namely being able to dial in a load to what a rifle really likes.

There are plenty of ways to make loose powder just about if not exactly as convenient, like speed loaders etc (as previously mentioned). Just the fact that loose powder comes in a container with a cap that seals gives it long term storage advantages... putting both of them in a sealed container with desiccant and storing them in a cool dry place helps either.

It should be clear I like and use loose powder. But I don't ever tell folks that pellets are bad... just that they have to manage the "pluses" and "minuses" with either one.

Well said.

Oh and a few other detractors from pellets that I've heard of (and are commonly over looked... especially by those that just want to believe that pellets are "magical", Easy, and have no negative sides to consider):

- Plenty of folks report changes in impact (probably from changing burn rates) from not only age/humidity exposure, but cracking/crushing pellets from loading too hard.

- Similar reports in changes in accuracy when the pellets have a darker 'easy to set off' end that is not oriented properly constantly in the same direction (I challenge you to find that end when loading in the dark of the early morning).

Having not messed with pellets personally: I cannot speak from personal experience. But everything has 'pluses and minuses' to consider. I'm glad to live in a country where I can consider so many viable options.

I do what I can to get the most accuracy, so I use loose powder. But for me, just the cost of pellets is enough to convince me. I notice that the stores around me only have pellets right now. Go figure. It has always amazed me that gun stores run out of powder during a normal muzzleloading season, so this season should be real interesting. I learned long ago to make sure I had plenty of powder and caps/primers on hand well before the season. The Cabela'a here in Albuquerque has a muzzleloading section about as big as the candy section next to the cash register.

Back