pepperoni again

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I tried a different seasoning blend in this batch and think I like it a lot. This batch I removed a lot of the fat from the pork butts and the sausage is a lot leaner but still has plenty of fat. I fried up the ground meat that was left in the grinder and stuffer and boy, it is pepperoni. I have it hung to dry now so the flavor should get better and better as it dries.

iVXCzX1.jpg

Looks delicious Tom.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Done! I put the grinders and stuffers away for the summer now. This batch of pepperoni has dried nicely and I got it sealed up this morning. I plucked the meat out of the stick end and put it in a zip lock for snack food and man its good. Won't last long in that bag.

mFkNKgz.jpg

Now I'll start watching for sales on pork butts and begin the buying for next falls goodies. The pork butts selling at $.99/pound are what I look for as they have the best fat/lean ratio for sausage.

This batch was done using Waltons pepperoni spice blend and I can feel good about recommending to anyone thinking of trying it. I usually do two batches of pepperoni each winter...one early on and one about now....so when I order spices this next fall I am getting three bags and plan to mix some venison in one batch along with some encapsulated citric acid then stuffing the sausage into slightly larger casings than a traditional snack stick would take. I'll give them a touch of light smoke then finish them in the oven as I did these then dry then a week or two. I'll keep those as snack sticks but will maybe add a little hot pepper flakes to the batch for some zip.

Working with this pepperoni today...the smells and the little snitches of tastes have me thinking about a home-made pizza this week. Darn this stuff is good.

Love Pepperoni!! I have a guy that makes them thinner. Man talk about a great snack!! I always save a few bags for the following hunting season. Generally they last that long if I hide them real well. Grin

I've tried hiding them too. But I know where I put them and that's the problem. Now if it was money I set aside.......

Back