Perch through the ice.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought this Tent, Eskimo FatFish 949i, Insulated version

CKQSwD7.jpg

And this Milwaukee M18 Fuel Drill, with 8” Eskimo Pistol Bit Auger
Nux4sEF.jpg
I use same drill on my Mora 8" hand auger blade, sure beats drilling by hand. Would like to get a K-drill blade though.

I sure would like to get back to Devil's Lake ND to fish for perch or mid SD. Fort Peck MT has it all, perch, pike, walleye, northern, lake trout and king salmon.

There are some here in Minnesota who will simply slit a walleye, perch or sauger belly and remove the egg skeins whole, then go about the filleting process. The whole skeins are floured and fried or battered and deep fried very quickly. Personally I'm not into fish eggs but those who save them say they are superb. If the skeins are cut the eggs tend to go all over the place when handled and the riper the eggs, the worse the roam.

Many years ago I fished an eastern South Dakota lake in the winter for perch. The fish we caught back then averaged a pound and a half with quite a few hitting two pounds. I got a Master Angler's award for landing one of three pounds which was the benchmark for the award. About six years ago Ma and I were back in the area of that lake during the winter so I thought about getting a license and giving the perch a go again but along the years the lake water's entry point had been redesigned and the perching went away.

Last edited:
There are some here in Minnesota who will simply slit a walleye, perch or sauger belly and remove the egg skeins whole, then go about the filleting process. The whole skeins are floured and fried or battered and deep fried very quickly. Personally I'm not into fish eggs but those who save them say they are superb. If the skeins are cut the eggs tend to go all over the place when handled and the riper the eggs, the worse the roam.

Many years ago I fished an eastern South Dakota lake in the winter for perch. The fish we caught back then averaged a pound and a half with quite a few hitting two pounds. I got a Master Angler's award for landing one of three pounds which was the benchmark for the award. About six years ago Ma and I were back in the area of that lake during the winter so I thought about getting a license and giving the perch a go again but along the years the lake water's entry point had been redesigned and the perching went away.
i really love walleye & sauger but the eggs are a real treat.. (If you bust / tear the "skein" they are just about impossible to cook. my friend (now gone) that caught the last i ate, said after a bite,,, just ate several hundred sauger! I never thought about it that way til then.,, I saw a Japanese cooking show years ago and they ate the milt sacs fried (what the boys carry)... & new tasters declared them great too,,, I never heard of that until i saw that show...... I've ate bluegill, white bass, and sauger eggs & all are fantastic,,, I tried it on some pond fed catfish, & it was probably just like those prepped salmon eggs preserved for fishing,,, awful, tough plastic like,,, & they popped like popcorn, so were difficult to fry! Consider yourself blessed to have those type fish available to eat!

They are full of eggs but I don’t keep them. How do you cook the sauger eggs?
roll them in a little seasoned flour and fry them whole,,, just like a filet... you will never throw any away again if you try em. Some people have problems because of the "thought" of what it is... i bet anybody that likes fish would love them too, if they ate em without knowing what they were! Excellent fare!

Went out last night near dusk and fished until 9 with a friend of mine. 1 perch, 1 bass and 25 crappie each. I’m not looking forward to the ice going out, hopefully it holds out a few weeks.

Went out last night near dusk and fished until 9 with a friend of mine. 1 perch, 1 bass and 25 crappie each. I’m not looking forward to the ice going out, hopefully it holds out a few weeks.
I'm jealous. Can you tell me where you are fishing? I know you'll have to kill me after that but it could be a a fair trade if the fishin's that good.

This is what I saw this morning....

FVC6KBv.jpg

....with ice on both sides of where we were fishing. Robins singing. Geese flying. I'll take this.

Back