Percussion caps (which do YOU prefer)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbrian

Reaction score
Okay, I have got my new (to me) Knight MK85 50 cal (22 inch BBL) all fitted up with Grand Slam steel bases and rings. I have a Leupold VariX2 that I am bout to sight in (preliminary) with my new, still in package Bushnell Laser bore sighter. I will use it to 25 yards to make my crosshairs and laser beam connect. Hopefully, if I centered the boresighter in the bore properly, I will be on paper at that range. I will be using Triple Seven FFFg powder. I will start at 85 grains. 250 Grain Barnes Expanders will be my buck stopper of choice due to good results in the past. I would use Shockwaves,...and have used them.....but a double lung pass through, or even a heart shot pass through (with an Omega and a Savage ML10-2) yielded VERY LITTLE blood trail for some odd reason. What I felt the need to share all of this extry stuff is anybodies guess....(just wanting to chat I reckon).....but my primary question is this: I bought some Winchester Magnum BP No 11 Perc caps at Wal Mart. I also have some CCI MAG caps from 2 years ago (kept inside in dry). But I always have been a stickler for using fresh, "this years" perc caps. It would be my luck that my hammer falls on a dud at that critical moment. Bucks are starting to show alot of paws and rubs. I have my Summit stand in a location where there are 8 fresh paws and several bushes have been tore up. It is still bow season, but soon, MLer season will open (and not a minute too soon). I want to have the MOST RELIABLE no 11 PERC cap on my nipple (on the rifle's nipple, that is...lol) (poor humor).
Which No 11 Percussion Cap do YOU prefer?????? I appreciate any and all participation. Heck, I may have the best here with the Winchester Magnum's. I mean...Winchester USED to be a name that you could flat-out depend on. (I always wanted them to come out with a Model 70 MLer (like Remington did with their awesomely accurate Model 700ML) Happy Shooting. With some hard work, and good timing, I should be heading to the range tomorrow to get my MK85 dead on at 100 yards. I will then back up to 50 yards for a couple of shots....once I have a load that is acceptable at 100 yds.

kevinbrian said:
Okay, I have got my new (to me) Knight MK85 50 cal (22 inch BBL) all fitted up with Grand Slam steel bases and rings. I have a Leupold VariX2 that I am bout to sight in (preliminary) with my new, still in package Bushnell Laser bore sighter. I will use it to 25 yards to make my crosshairs and laser beam connect. Hopefully, if I centered the boresighter in the bore properly, I will be on paper at that range. I will be using Triple Seven FFFg powder. I will start at 85 grains. 250 Grain Barnes Expanders will be my buck stopper of choice due to good results in the past. I would use Shockwaves,...and have used them.....but a double lung pass through, or even a heart shot pass through (with an Omega and a Savage ML10-2) yielded VERY LITTLE blood trail for some odd reason. What I felt the need to share all of this extry stuff is anybodies guess....(just wanting to chat I reckon).....but my primary question is this: I bought some Winchester Magnum BP No 11 Perc caps at Wal Mart. I also have some CCI MAG caps from 2 years ago (kept inside in dry). But I always have been a stickler for using fresh, "this years" perc caps. It would be my luck that my hammer falls on a dud at that critical moment. Bucks are starting to show alot of paws and rubs. I have my Summit stand in a location where there are 8 fresh paws and several bushes have been tore up. It is still bow season, but soon, MLer season will open (and not a minute too soon). I want to have the MOST RELIABLE no 11 PERC cap on my nipple (on the rifle's nipple, that is...lol) (poor humor).
Which No 11 Percussion Cap do YOU prefer?????? I appreciate any and all participation. Heck, I may have the best here with the Winchester Magnum's. I mean...Winchester USED to be a name that you could flat-out depend on. (I always wanted them to come out with a Model 70 MLer (like Remington did with their awesomely accurate Model 700ML) Happy Shooting. With some hard work, and good timing, I should be heading to the range tomorrow to get my MK85 dead on at 100 yards. I will then back up to 50 yards for a couple of shots....once I have a load that is acceptable at 100 yds.

I have been using the RWS Dynamit Noble 1075+ for years now and they are great... I would hate to tell you how old my caps are - gotta be at least 10 years old - never had a problem with them or the CCI #11 Mags... The regular CCI #11's that I use for Rondy have got to be 15 years old... can not recall any problems with them either but it is not that big deal if they fail there....

CCI Magnum #11 caps and Winchester Magnum #11 caps are the same thing. Just different packaging. I purchased some CCI caps and they had the Winchester card as their backing, but were in CCI Magnum tins... so you tell me.

If you have a large nipple. the Dynamite Noble 1075 can sometimes act up. The reason they are called 1075 is they are not a true #11 cap. But quality wise, they are very good caps.

Around here I get CCI Magnum Caps. They work just perfect. Other good caps are the Remington 40% hotter #11 caps. The one cap I will tell you not to purchase is the STANDARD CCI cap. They are not magnum. And when its cold and wet, they will let you down.

When your hunting, to make sure that shot of a life time always goes off.. take the nipple off. Drizzle a little powder down the hole. Then replace the nipple where it belongs. When you fire, that rifle will go off. The CCI Magnum will work fine for you. And I have tins of caps that are four years old. I purchase a couple thousand at a time if the price is right. Last time I bought out the Gander Mountain of their Winchester Magnum. All they had were 12 cards.. but at the price they were asking, it was too good of a price to pass.

The remingtons have been working well for me these last couple years.

I appreciate it guys!!!!! I am going to check my gun shop tomorrow for some Remington 40% hotter caps. If they don't have them.....I'll make do with these CCI mags (repackaged). Thanks fellows. You guys are for REAL!!!! I appreciate that!!!!!!!!! Hey!.....I'll carry my camera and take some pics of my shooting expoits tomorrow like I used to do. I hope that I can show ya a sub MOA 100 yard group. I'll do my very best!!!!!!!!! I figure that since y'all have been so instrumental in getting me back into the MLing game, the least I can do is show ya some of the fruits of your labor. (I'll be shooting off a bench, ,.....so bragging rights will go to the gun......if there ARE some outstanding groups. I kinda think that there will be)

Remingtons or RWS here also. When I start out with a new rifle I get on paper at 25 then get 1" high at 50 then see where you are at 100yds. If you have a group an your hunting shots are within 100yds your ready for making meat.

Thanks ToyTruck. I am laoding up my car with shooting table, bag rests, my large tackle box turned Possibles box. I have filled my precussion cap capper (the long slender one) with fresh caps. I am carrying 30 bullet/sabots. (I must have a lot of confidence that my rifle will like the Expanders cause that is all I am carrying. If it hates those....I will try Shockwaves (SST's). I just hope that it loves the copper bullets. A bullet that I have never tried and want to are the lehigh;s. They were in the experimental stage when I took up metal detecting and put my MLers up for a while until reading this forum ignited the passion again.
I don't know bout y'all.....but I LOVE the recoil of 80 to 100 grains of Triple Seven against my shoulder. And a nice clean hole in the bull (or near it....within .5 inches). I love range time as much as I love hunting. True. And I LOVE to hunt. But I LOVVVVVVVE some uninterrupted range time.
When I am at my little makeshift 100 yd range......and there is NO traffic....and I am TOTALLY alone......I am at my all time happiest.
I cannot STAND to have someone beside me "coaching" me on what to try next ......"do this...do that".
Now ....in NO way.....am I talking about the coaching or advice that I get on Modern Muzzleloader forum. I'm not talking about forum activity. I am talking about the wonderful feeling of having a 100 yard stretch of old field road to myself. And I can shoot a couple of shots.....read my Bible while my barrel cools down a bit. Stuff like that. Or...I may read an old 1970's Outdoor Life magazine or something. I guess......what I am trying to say.,,,,is......is that I love solitude.
I know that all of this extra talk is unnecessary. But heck, I live here in this big ol house, by myself. I take care of my mother full time (she has endstage Alzheimer's (not fishing for sympathy). So, when I get a little bit "wordy" in a post......it's just that I crave human interaction sometimes. And yes, I said that RIGHT AFTER I said that I love solitude. Both ....are true. It's a paradox. LOL Anyway, just chewing the fat. I am excited about touching off some powder. I just talked to the landowner and he said " Have at it!!!!" I said: "Thank you sir!!! I will leave your property the way that I found it. No trash. No damaged soybeans." He said: "I don't care about all of that. Just have fun." I love my neighbors. Very much.

You don't have to make do with the CCI mag caps. They're hotter than the Remingtons.

I have had excellent results with the RWS I used the CCI MAG for a while and they did quite well also. I tried the remingtons and considered the awful weak.

RWS preferred when using caps. Just bought 10 tins (plastic) tube to keep stock up. still have 2 real "tins" of RWS, 4 tins of CCI #11 mag and 4 tins (red plastic) of Dixie that are circa 1970 and are still good. 2K seems like a lot but considering the current political situation no where near a lifetime supply. But to OP, RWS is my preffered cap, CCI #11 mag 2nd, and CCI regular #11 next, then all others.

And to the Remmy 700ML being accurate, yes but has some poor design flaws. Just take a bolt apart on one that is about 10-15 years and the bolt hasn't been disassembled and cleaned with each use. That flaw just happens to be endemic on the designs of the era and disappeared with break action MLs shooting 209s and the Savage type tight closing boltnose for 209s. Most of the 700ML seen now are candidates for "conversion".

and yes the deer are really moving now and ML season opens on Saturday 11/02 here in VA. I'll be after the turkeys, with my 45 Encore conversion, as that opens upcoming Saturday, 10/26.
W

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it. Good luck/skill to everyone this year....on the range, and in the woods. Or both.

CCI Mag caps for me, It is about the easiest for me to find. I have not seen any of the RWS.

Latest posts

Back