Percussion Pistol "Speed Shooting".....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a novice observation. You didn’t use a patch. Can you tell me why you didn’t need to.

You didn’t use a patch. Can you tell me why you didn’t need to.
I would have never been able to take those 7 shots under 3 minutes loading the patches.
It takes too much time using them.
Thanks for watching.

Great shooting! I wonder if the "speed" pulled some of the overthinking that can come with target shooting....Regardless, fun video!

So, why do we need a patch ever if it's not necessary?
Your patch is what engages the rifling in your barrel. Shooting without a patch can impact (decrease) accuracy and cause some gases to escape around the projectile. It's not necessary, especially when accuracy isn't the primary goal.

Yeah that was a great video. Thanks for sharing.

For fighting and faster reloads, I believe that they used to keep a few balls in their mouth to help speed up the loading too. Saves time fumbling in a bag trying to grab a bullet fast. Plus the saliva helps keep the ball in the barrel too. As some of the BP sticks to it for a short time. When your fighting for survival every moment counts. They didn’t have pockets way back then. But they didn’t know about lead toxicity way back then either. Nowadays that is probably a bad idea.

Latest posts

Back