Perma-Gel bullet test!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great post Doohan! It looks like the time tested 250 xtp might just be my deer bullet for 2007! Thanks Kevin

kevinbrian said:
Great post Doohan! It looks like the time tested 250 xtp might just be my deer bullet for 2007! Thanks Kevin

Nothing wrong with that! The XTP IMHO is the standard!

Awesome bullet!

Thanks Doohan, your testing has been a great help. I've got to get some of those 250 BE's.

Thank you for performing this test. Do you have an estimate of how fast these 3 bullets were moving when they left the muzzle? The trusty old XTP held together very well.

2200-2300fps and the gel was at 50 yds.

Both had about 14" penetration.

Thanks JJ. I for one,and I am sure others do as well, really appreciate your efforts!

IAhunter said:
Thank you for performing this test. Do you have an estimate of how fast these 3 bullets were moving when they left the muzzle? The trusty old XTP held together very well.

Now that's only for the 250gr Parker and the 250gr XTP, right? The 250gr Shockwave went to pieces at only 90gr fft Triple Se7en velocity, RIGHT? About 1800fps or so?

Great job JJ!

Doohan said:
Parker 227gr retained

XTP - 209 gr retianed..

:think:

91% weight retention for the Ballistic Extreme and 84% for the XTP. Both are GREAT numbers! Expecially when you consider that only a year or so ago the go to bullet was the SST/Shockwave. I MAY still use them at Triple Se7en velocities, but I'm certainly no longer going to use them at Savage/NULA velocites..

big6x6 said:
IAhunter said:

Now that's only for the 250gr Parker and the 250gr XTP, right? The 250gr Shockwave went to pieces at only 90gr fft Triple Se7en velocity, RIGHT? About 1800fps or so?

Great job JJ!

Yes, you are correct. I didnt chrony the 250SW out of the Triumph but I assume that is close. I didnt see that in the last post.. sorry..

I will try the 300 SW next. I already know the bonded 300 is one heck of a bullet. But I have some on order and will try them too.

Doohan said:
big6x6 said:
IAhunter said:

Great job JJ!

Yes, you are correct. I didnt chrony the 250SW out of the Triumph but I assume that is close. I didnt see that in the last post.. sorry..

I will try the 300 SW next. I already know the bonded 300 is one heck of a bullet. But I have some on order and will try them too.

I got a chance to shoot some today..

With T7

200 shockwave
250 shockwave
250 expander
250 tmz
348 hp powerbelt

Smokeless

300 shockwave
250 parker be

Photos to follow tomorrow

250 SW over 95gr. T-7ffg - 190gr retained - 18.5" penetration
IMG_1197.jpg

250 Expander over 95gr T-7 ffg-249gr retained - 17.25" penetration
IMG_1196.jpg

200 SW over 115gr T-7 ffg - 150gr retained - 21.5"penetration
IMG_1203.jpg

250 TMZ over 95gr T-7 ffg - 247gr retained - 18.5" penetration
IMG_1209.jpg

348 Powerbeltover95gr T-7 ffg - 202gr retained- 25" penetration
IMG_1216.jpg

300 SW over 44gr SR 4759 - 216gr retained - 28.5" penetration
IMG_1222.jpg

250 Parker BE over44gr 4759 - 156gr retained - 14"penetration

Forgot to take a pic but this is the absolute limit for this bullet. 2 bullets were fired into gel, one fragmented and the other was highly mangled.

I also tried a 250 Bonded SW over the same charge and it fragged as well..

Great report!!! Now that you have done all this, I have to ask,"if accuracy was equal, which bullet would you choose for smokeless and which one for black powder? The reason I ask is usually if you pick a certain bullet and play with powders, charge weights, etc. you might get it to shoot m.o.d. (minute of deer).

250 Parker BE over44gr 4759 - 156gr retained - 14"penetration

Forgot to take a pic but this is the absolute limit for this bullet. 2 bullets were fired into gel, one fragmented and the other was highly mangled.
Well I guess it will not stand up to my duplex speeds. Thanks Doohan.

Thx

Thx's for all of the hard work "D" ... Once again this website is "Solid Gold" Thx's to the guys on it.

encoreguy said:
Great report!!! Now that you have done all this, I have to ask,"if accuracy was equal, which bullet would you choose for smokeless and which one for black powder? The reason I ask is usually if you pick a certain bullet and play with powders, charge weights, etc. you might get it to shoot m.o.d. (minute of deer).

You know, that is a tough question! So many good choices here!

In my smokeless guns, I currently am working with the 275 BE and 250 Bonded SW.

In the Triumph I am going to give the 250 SW, 250 XTP, 250 Expander a try.

It is really hard to pick just one.

I am surprised the Powerbelt did so good with penetration! Although it shed 1/3 of its weight.

thanks for testing these out. How does the Gel hold up for Centerfires? Would you have to buy more blocks of the gel?

Back