PERSONAL HOBBIES

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a Denver community swing band (or so I'm told), but currently it isn't meeting for obvious reasons. Once life gets back to normal, I'll try out for the band.
Does my fascination with Big Band music make me old fashioned? It is music primarily from the late 30's and through the 40's.

I hope you don't mind that I am resurrecting this thread.

..My banjo objected strenuously to the new visitor, but I ignored its pleas. I've been playing it an hour or so a day since bringing it home. My skills are slowly coming back, but it is faster than I had anticipated...
Ron
Playing an instrument is just like riding a bike...you never forget. Not having picked up my guitar in nearly 20 years I too was VERY amazed recovering 80% of my skills after only a few months .
Keep playing RonC !:thumbs up:

There is a Denver community swing band (or so I'm told), but currently it isn't meeting for obvious reasons. Once life gets back to normal, I'll try out for the band.
Does my fascination with Big Band music make me old fashioned? It is music primarily from the late 30's and through the 40's.
"old fashioned"??? Good music never dies. It just gets re-discovered.😉

Maybe; but I like it, too.

I had to fight every punk in high school because my uncle was pro fighter for awhile and had a boxing club that I hung out at and sparred and such and worked out,i just never had the heart to get in the ring and beat up on somebody.My uncle started a little late at 23 but he was good. Went by the name of Sonny Boy Son. Our last name is Son.His trainer was a champion from Mexico and one of the best men I ever met and he was bad to bone! Manuel Galindo,a real honest man,he is the one that told me your good in the ring you just can't put your heart in it.He taught me a lot and I could always defend my self when needed.I think a boxing club is the best place to exercise than a local gymn.

I was considered a pretty good boxer but, as mentioned, did not have the drive to step into the ring - only once. But I did serve as sparring partner for a real boxer and I also trained boxers and kick boxers. I just loved judo, jujitsu, aikido and karate more.

I had to fight every punk in high school because my uncle was pro fighter for awhile and had a boxing club that I hung out at and sparred and such and worked out,i just never had the heart to get in the ring and beat up on somebody.My uncle started a little late at 23 but he was good. Went by the name of Sonny Boy Son. Our last name is Son.His trainer was a champion from Mexico and one of the best men I ever met and he was bad to bone! Manuel Galindo,a real honest man,he is the one that told me your good in the ring you just can't put your heart in it.He taught me a lot and I could always defend my self when needed.I think a boxing club is the best place to exercise than a local gymn.
In my high school days there were always testosterone fist-fights in the alley behind the school. Fun to watch but I never participated 😁 My son got is Black Belt when he was 12 years old so I never worried too much about him taking care of himself.

Although he never boxed my father enjoyed boxing. Growing up we would watch the Friday night fights. Now it all mixed martial arts.

ML48 out of my archives one of my 57s in days of yore. Bought it out of a logger's shop here in Encampment. Had been repainted in '90 otherwise bone stock #s match 283 power-pac, glide, even has the fender skirts and orig hubcaps in the trunk. Don't miss any of the exs but surely wish for a few of my cars back! Footnote: paid 15K, took it to the Turkey rod run in the Daytona speedway infield in Fl where my son lives and sent it to New Zealand for 26.5K, couldn't turn it down. You know the old sayin "money talks and BS walks" Hands down my favorite car I ever owned!
Mossie, I forgot to tell you. I lived in Steamboat Springs, Hayden, and Kremmling. We used to go up through Steamboat Lake, past Hahn's peak Lake, Through Whiskey Park and in to Encampment Wyoming. That was some gorgeous scenery, fishing and hunting. Encampment was a nice little town....very old West.

Selling my U.S. stamp collection. Any interest? Over $20,000 in value.
So any of you old timers with lots of cash, let me know, we can make a deal:cheers:.

Last edited:
Mossie, I forgot to tell you. I lived in Steamboat Springs, Hayden, and Kremmling. We used to go up through Steamboat Lake, past Hahn's peak Lake, Through Whiskey Park and in to Encampment Wyoming. That was some gorgeous scenery, fishing and hunting. Encampment was a nice little town....very old West.
I loved to ride my motorcycle up to Granby, then to Walden, then into Wyoming and Encampment. If I recall, there was a museum and small mining town reconstruction there.
6-14 Grand Encampment museum (15)sm.jpg
Branding irons
6-14 Grand Encampment banding irons (3)mdsm.jpg
Scenery, mining history - that's what I like about the area. Also, no traffic. I've gone 50 miles up Rt. 14 and not seen another vehicle on my side of the road and maybe 5 coming from the other direction. Then a little eastern backtrack to Medicine Bow area, the back west and north to Lander and Ft. Washakie; to Shoshonie and Thermopolis. I usually ended up in Cody, WY to visit the firearms museum.
Take one trip to that area and it is easy to see why I traveled that way several times.
Ron

QA
I loved to ride my motorcycle up to Granby, then to Walden, then into Wyoming and Encampment. If I recall, there was a museum and small mining town reconstruction there.
View attachment 2648
Branding irons
View attachment 2649
Scenery, mining history - that's what I like about the area. Also, no traffic. I've gone 50 miles up Rt. 14 and not seen another vehicle on my side of the road and maybe 5 coming from the other direction. Then a little eastern backtrack to Medicine Bow area, the back west and north to Lander and Ft. Washakie; to Shoshonie and Thermopolis. I usually ended up in Cody, WY to visit the firearms museum.
Take one trip to that area and it is easy to see why I traveled that way several times.
Ron
Ain't that way no more as far as traffic is concerned. All the hippies and starving artists moved to Steamboat.
However, you can still get off the beaten path and camp in the boonies where they are afraid to go.
BTW: If you ever get back up to Steamboat, there is an Italian restaurant named Cugino's. Got the best stromboli you ever tasted....stop in and try it. We try to get up there a couple of times a year and hit that restaurant every time....very reasonable too.

View attachment 2648
Branding irons
View attachment 2649
Ron
Thank you all for describing the many reasons we live in Encampment. Hardly any traffic UNTIL THIS YEAR! 13 out of 15 campers going up the mountain were Colo plates, the GREEN invasion. Also many from down your way buying up any real estate available. The local agents in Saratoga and here said they are out of real estate to sell! The people I've met from Co are pleasant and who wouldn't want to get out of that people infested northern colo? People in Walden think they're in Wyo LOL. The only problem being they love to move here then want to change it into the place they just fled.! Mostly the wives. .When they realize the closest Wally World is nearly a hundred mi away in any direction and they can't see the Golden Arches they become unhappy. We DON'T NEED curb and gutter, we get along fine with our gravel streets. Last census 443 but climbing now. I think when SHTF we are in as good a place as you can find, Many retired veterans who are "well heeled" as they used to say . We know all of our neighbors and have a ready list of numbers to call to muster. Winter Mo only one highway in and out plus we have the high ground...Mossie

Last edited:
The fact that nobody lives here in Maine is a big PLUS in my opinion. Course the population (pre-corona) doubled or tripled during the summer as tourists, a huge industry up here, come piling in.

BTW: If you ever get back up to Steamboat, there is an Italian restaurant named Cugino's. Got the best stromboli you ever tasted....stop in and try it. We try to get up there a couple of times a year and hit that restaurant every time....very reasonable too.

Stan, if I could manage to get up that way I'd like for you and me to go to Cugino's. I never tried stromboli before. That would be a blast.

Stan, if I could manage to get up that way I'd like for you and me to go to Cugino's. I never tried stromboli before. That would be a blast.
The way they make it is to die for. I'm planning on another trip up there this year hopefully. You just can't get enough of their stromboli....I believe you would love it.

The expanding migration into the SouthWest has impacted all of us. When we moved from Virginia to Colorado about 35 years ago, there was 1 traffic light between our home and a nice back road. Now, there are 11 traffic lights on the same route.
When we first arrived, we laughed at the people who complained about Front range, CO Traffic. They didn't know real traffic! Now, they know.

Back when we moved west, we were "them." Now, we are "us" and the new people are "them."
Ron

Mossie, you are right on about Encampment. I used to go antelope hunting between Encampment and Saratoga. That is a place I always thought I could live when I retire. Some of the guys I hunted with would take their game to the Encampment Processing place. I think it has changed hands and name now. We stay at Saratoga Lake in a trailer and would eat at the Wolf Hotel. One of my good friends from Oklahoma retired in about 1995 and moved back to Saratoga, WY where he was raised. His name was Slick Morrison. He was a mechanic and road Motorcycles all over that country and he is one of the main reasons I started going up there to hunt and ride my cycle up there. I have another friend that moved from near Wichita, KS to just west of Sundance in the Black Hills area. I rode up there one year to by a custom built single shot pistol at MOA Pistols business. Very nice area also.
I loved that drive south out of Encampment on my BMW cycle and would stop and take photos fo the Bridger Peak mountains, always with snow it seemed.
You are a lucky man. I hope to get back up there next fall. We hunted land they opened for walk-in hunting only for a few weeks in Oct. Always got a couple of goats. I just hunted the doe antelope for meat.
You guys talking about those areas in CO and WY make me want to jump on the old Air Head BMW and head that way.
And you guys are right about some great places to eat.
Mike

Aw crap. All this talk about the Encampment area has just got me excited now.
Back when I lived up there, in the winter, the road up through Whiskey Park, CO. in to Wyoming was not maintained and only a snowmobile was going to get you through there. Now I'm anxious to head to Cugino's and then take that trip to Encampment.
Headed out hunting with my boys yesterday...no game in sight...great time hiking through the mountains and wilderness though.

The expanding migration into the SouthWest has impacted all of us. When we moved from Virginia to Colorado about 35 years ago, there was 1 traffic light between our home and a nice back road. Now, there are 11 traffic lights on the same route.
When we first arrived, we laughed at the people who complained about Front range, CO Traffic. They didn't know real traffic! Now, they know.

Back when we moved west, we were "them." Now, we are "us" and the new people are "them."
Ron
Ron, back in 1986, driving from Denver to Colorado Springs on I-25 there was no traffic to speak of. It was like driving on I-90 in northern Wyoming today. You would see a car or two every so often. Today, even driving to Pueblo from Trinidad traffic has more than quadrupled. The drug trade is flourishing in Colorado, unfortunately.

Back