Picatinny for newer CVA rifles?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toggy

Reaction score
My buddy and I have the durasight dead-on one piece mount for our scopes on our newer CVA muzzleloaders.

I've seen slipping on my buddies scope and I'm not sure that these mounts are actually dead on. I've seen some reviews stating that people have had to deal with slipping.

I think I'm serious enough now that I would want to get a high quality picatinny rail and some good rings. Has anyone successfully found a decent picatinny rail that will mount on a modern CVA muzzleloader?

It seems there's a fellow named Hank who makes one but I can't find any reviews.

Thanks,
Tom

I see the ribbing now. If they aren't true, all the ribbing in the world probably won't help. Assuming you have the materials to lap the rings, have you put an alignment tool or dowel in there just to check on whether it's true or not? Either way, as you mention, you're probably better off with a decent rail and rings.

My buddy and I have the durasight dead-on one piece mount for our scopes on our newer CVA muzzleloaders. . . I've seen slipping on my buddies scope
I have an old Swift 4X long eye relief scope mounted on an Optima V2 pistol. With hunting loads (400 grns @ 1350 fps) it generates about 55 ft lb of free recoil. I have test fired a few max allowed loads (400 grns @ 1550 fps) that produce 65 ft lbs of free recoil. Adding the weight of a scope and mounts drops those by 10 ft lbs.

The only way I could stop scope slipping was to use rings with 4 locking screws each. I can't recall the brand, but they are clones of SSK's T'SOB rings.

Even then the ring bases moved slightly back and forward in the scope rail grooves. I had to shim the square cross mounting bolts in the rail, then tighten and locktite the nuts in place.

With this set up nothing moves - Ever.

Edit: @toggy Sorry, the rings aren't like T'SOBs but do have 4 locking screws per ring cap. Also, more than two ring mounts can be used on one scope.

Last edited:
I have an old Swift 4X long eye relief scope mounted on an Optima V2 pistol. With hunting loads (400 grns @ 1350 fps) it generates about 55 ft lb of free recoil. I have test fired a few max allowed loads (400 grns @ 1550 fps) that produce 65 ft lbs of free recoil. Adding the weight of a scope and mounts drops those by 10 ft lbs.

The only way I could stop scope slipping was to use rings with 4 locking screws each. I can't recall the brand, but they are clones of SSK's T'SOB rings.

Even then the ring bases moved slightly back and forward in the scope rail grooves. I had to shim the square cross mounting bolts in the rail, then tighten and locktite the nuts in place.

With this set up nothing moves - Ever.
How did you shim them?

How did you shim them?
I cut small thin rectangular strips of metal, equal in width to the depth of the scope rail cross grooves. The strip's length was equal to the groove's width across the rail, and their thickness is just enough to take up any space between the square bolt and the cross grooves in the rail.
Strips can be cut from shim stock, old feeler gauges, cans or scrap sheet metal. If they are too thick, light strikes with a hammer on an anvil can get the exact thickness needed. A little RTV can help hold them in place while the nuts are tightened and lock them in position when it dries.

My one piece picatinny rail that came stock with my CVA accura LRX cracked in two. I figured I had somehow bumped or dropped the rifle so I replaced it with another CVA rail. After one shot of 110 gr volume BH209 and a 320 bullet, it snapped in the same spot again. WTH? My gunsmith has never seen or heard of such a thing. He said my QD mounts were attached correctly (pushed forward). My only conclusion is the CVA rail is garbage. Upon further inspection, it is cast, not machined. I replaced it with an EGW rail that is twice as thick and machined. I will see if it holds up this weekend. This is just one of many issues I have had with CVA and am just about ready to switch to Knight.

Attachments

• IMG_4808.jpeg
    IMG_4808.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My one piece picatinny rail that came stock with my CVA accura LRX cracked in two. I figured I had somehow bumped or dropped the rifle so I replaced it with another CVA rail. After one shot of 110 gr volume BH209 and a 320 bullet, it snapped in the same spot again. WTH? My gunsmith has never seen or heard of such a thing. He said my QR mounts were attached correctly (pushed forward). My only conclusion is the CVA rail is garbage. Upon further inspection, it is cast, not machined. I replaced it with an EGW rail that is twice as thick and machined. I will see if it holds up this weekend. This is just one of many issues I have had with CVA and am just about ready to switch to Knight.
I think my Accura is a great gun... It just deserves a good scope mount.

I am surprised how many issues the durasight has. And I am not surprised.

Hankins rail is supposed to fit a Optima even though its made for the scout. It machined from 7075. Thats what i dont like about EGW. They dont make a HD model in steel or 7075 for hardly any ML other than stuff like Savage or RemUML. No Scout HD rail either. All made from extruded 6061.

Contessa makes a steel Scout rail also but good luck finding a US source for it. EuroOptics is a Contessa dealer and might be able to get them. They make nice stuff too.

DNZ Game Reaper is made better than the Durasght OEM 1 piece but similar.

Durasight is some alloy and its probably a sintered material like Warnes rings. Not sure you can do that with zinc/aluminum alloy or not. Works with steel.

Only thing on the Hankins is the rail does not come back as far so i bet a long eye relief scope will be a must. The rail set back further on a Scout.

Last edited:
My buddy and I have the durasight dead-on one piece mount for our scopes on our newer CVA muzzleloaders.

I've seen slipping on my buddies scope and I'm not sure that these mounts are actually dead on. I've seen some reviews stating that people have had to deal with slipping.

I think I'm serious enough now that I would want to get a high quality picatinny rail and some good rings. Has anyone successfully found a decent picatinny rail that will mount on a modern CVA muzzleloader?

It seems there's a fellow named Hank who makes one but I can't find any reviews.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom, EGW gun parts. Purchased one from them a couple months ago for my CVA Optima Pro mag. Fit like a glove.
Hope this helps,
Brian

My newly attached EGW rail survived the 110 gr volume Blackhorn 320 grain bullets that cracked the CVA factory rail. However, it Did not seem to help my accuracy much as I continue to be sorely disappointed in groups so far. I have a couple of other loads to test, but I am leaning towards a different set up after this deer season is over unless my groups magically shrink with a new recipe.

Attachments

• tempImageEAFSHr.png
    tempImageEAFSHr.png
    10.2 MB · Views: 0
I have a DNZ one piece coming in the mail.

I read nothing but good things about the mount and I have a feeling it won't require lapping.

Last edited:
I see the ribbing now. If they aren't true, all the ribbing in the world probably won't help. Assuming you have the materials to lap the rings, have you put an alignment tool or dowel in there just to check on whether it's true or not? Either way, as you mention, you're probably better off with a decent rail and rings.
In fact I wonder why they even went with ribbing. Less surface area. Maybe it's an attempt to smooth over other inconsistencies.

I also suspect that folks are overtightening the CVA mounts and then there's no slippage.

I have a DNZ now and hopefully all stays put.

Back