Picatinny for newer CVA rifles?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In fact I wonder why they even went with ribbing. Less surface area. Maybe it's an attempt to smooth over other inconsistencies.

I also suspect that folks are overtightening the CVA mounts and then there's no slippage.

I have a DNZ now and hopefully all stays put.
I'd have to think either the ribbing allows for imperfections, or they try to sell it as having bite to help avoid slippage...or both.

Hankins rail is supposed to fit a Optima even though its made for the scout. It machined from 7075. Thats what i dont like about EGW. They dont make a HD model in steel or 7075 for hardly any ML other than stuff like Savage or RemUML. No Scout HD rail either. All made from extruded 6061.

Contessa makes a steel Scout rail also but good luck finding a US source for it. EuroOptics is a Contessa dealer and might be able to get them. They make nice stuff too.

DNZ Game Reaper is made better than the Durasght OEM 1 piece but similar.

Durasight is some alloy and its probably a sintered material like Warnes rings. Not sure you can do that with zinc/aluminum alloy or not. Works with steel.

Only thing on the Hankins is the rail does not come back as far so i bet a long eye relief scope will be a must. The rail set back further on a Scout.

how does the hanks compare to the E A Brown ?
https://www.eabco.net/Keylock-CVA-Scope-Mount-Base-Black-or-Silver-Finish_p_13912.htmlthe mrx rail hole spacing is the same as the scout series ... correct ?

https://www.eabco.net/Keylock-CVA-Scope-Mount-Base-Black-or-Silver-Finish_p_13912.htmlthe mrx rail hole spacing is the same as the previous accura series ... correct ?
They dont specify what its made from that i could find. Other than it was tough and now its even tougher? It does say it will fit old and new hole patterns. Wish i had seen it before i bought the Talley and a DNZ one piece mounts, i may still pick one up to check out. I bet they would tell what its made of if you were to call or email.

the mrx rail hole spacing is the same as the scout series ... correct ?
Yes, the space between all the holes is the same. The length past those holes does vary from brand to brand. MRX is Accura MRX and as far as i know the holes have not changed since 2010.

The Keylock rail appears to have holes to fit QRBP and pre QRBP spacing. Older one was longer.

https://www.eabco.net/Keylock-CVA-Scope-Mount-Base-Black-or-Silver-Finish_p_13912.htmlthe mrx rail hole spacing is the same as the scout series ... correct ?
I picked up the EGW base for my CVA .450 Scout TD because of eye relief issues. I wanted Hanks but his rail did not come back far enough. Murphy's was another option and although a great rail I could not justify the cost on that rifle. I have a 4-12x40 Leupold Freedom and I'm still just a little too long for correct eye relief with the EGW. This Eabco base is exactly what I need to get my scope back just a little further.

Can someone confirm this base shares the same hole pattern with the Scout? I believe it does but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
thanks birdog . my diamondback hp has a 4 inch eye relief so i should be good .
have you considered shortening your butt stock ?

thanks birdog . my diamondback hp has a 4 inch eye relief so i should be good .
have you considered shortening your butt stock ?
Yes, great find JeffB. It's a synthetic stock so they don't shorten easily if at all or at least without a whole lot of work and time. I thought about ordering a Boyd's stock with a shorter length of pull but if I can accomplish what I need for $39.95 I will go that route. This Eabco rail you found will be perfect. If anyone wants an EGW Scout rail I will have one for sale cheap!

GM54-120 do you know if the barrel on the .50 mrx or .50 accuras have the same or similar taper as the .45 scout he mentions in the video ?

since the rail screw holes are evenly spaced it seems like the hanks could be reversed to allow the rear ring to sit further back for folks with shorter eye relief scopes and the excess cut off cleanly and painted . am i correct on this ?

the hankins appear to be superior to the others i've mentioned/considered and they don't really cost that much more shipped . i'll definately go that route !
thanks again folks .

saw a thread here yesterday with a post where someone did that . i shouldn't have any eye relief issue with my DbHP but i may shorten the front if i think it looks too long .

I'm looking at the Talley base and Hankins base to replace the bases on my CVA Scout pistol and CVA Scout 45-70 conversion. The Talley base looks like it sits further back. I was trying to find the egw rail but the link didn't work.

Yeah I got the DNZ but I have not installed it yet. I will report back once I get several shots through it.

Tom

I just bought a Accura MR-X with the picatinny/weaver scope base. Can I assume that I can use either picatinny or weaver scope rings with this base? I’ve never heard of such a base before.

Update: The Eabco CVA rail did not fit my CVA Scout. Screw hole spacing was perfect however the rear most hole was too far forward. I took the rail to a local machine shop and had them cut a little off the rear of the rail and a little off the front as it was too long overall. With my low rings the 40mm objective hit the rail preventing me from sliding the scope back. The machine shop then re cut the cantilever to clear the frame.

They did a great job and after a little paint it looks perfect. The rail now fits perfect and moves the scope back enough to provide proper eye relief.

The Eabco rail is very nice and well worth the money.

I'm looking at the Talley base and Hankins base to replace the bases on my CVA Scout pistol and CVA Scout 45-70 conversion. The Talley base looks like it sits further back. I was trying to find the egw rail but the link didn't work.
I have an EGW rail for the Scout. If you're interested send me a pm.

Picked up a Talley Rail, great fit to my MR-X 45cal. Much longer than the original. You can also reverse.

vaaytq7.jpg

xcG3jPY.jpg

No idea, I sent them an email. Got a response within a day. Give them a shout.

Latest posts

Back