Piebald doe

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm from the old school And also have American Indian blood in me and relatives That talk about the significance of white or pieball deer. I could never pull the trigger on one. But I will say they are pretty cool and neat to watch and look at.

Some research shows that piebald genetics comes from whitetail deer breeding with fallow deer. In that case there isn’t much more significance than imported deer breeding with a native deer. A great trophy either way. And I’m sure the steaks will grill up just as good.

Well in Michigan here we don't have any fallow deer And we have had a couple within a 30 mile radius of here in the past few years. One got shot back about 5 years ago and the guy that shot it posted it on Facebook locally here And there were so many negative posts and death threats that the guy disappeared from Facebook.

Ive seen one white doe in the Kensington Metropark and one piebald doe here in Stockbridge. I can believe the inbreeding theory in the Metropark but if that were the case, i kind of expect to see a lot more than i do, or even hear about. I think there may be more than just inbreeding involved.

It's called Albinoism. Works in humans as well. Family tree doesn't have enough limbs.

Actually the genetic markers for Albino and piebald are not the same. An Albino deer genetics have nothing to do with piebald deer other than they are deer. It doesn’t work that way. Also gsasc I’m not referring to free range deer, I’m referring to high fence areas. Nearly all high fence places have fallow deer herds and some deer do escape.
Shallow gene pools have nothing to do with it either, that’s completely false.

Piebald has always been associated with inbreeding and so is albinoism. Nothing new here. Maybe they have covid...

Well that’s actually incorrect. Doctors used to recommend certain brands of cigarettes as well. Do you also believe that those are good for you?

I was talking about a completely different genetic marker. They do not have anything to do with one another.
- Piebald can in fact have piebald or a normal colored offspring only one of the parents need the gene not both.
-Albino is a recessive gene so in order for an albino deer to have albino babies both the father and mother must have the gene.
-Two albino deer will ONLY make albino babies.
-Two piebald deer may have a normal color or piebald.
-Normal colored deer can have the albino gene and never have an albino baby. Only when both mother and father carry the recessive gene is it expressed.
I hope that helps, it’s good to have the correct knowledge on certain topics especially if an entire community of peers can read it.

There was a piebald doe at one farm I hunt couple of years ago. Landowner didn't want her killed. I could have, but gave her a pass. She had normal colored fawn's for several years. I haven't seen her since. They are pretty to watch. The white really shows up in the woods, makes them easy to see.

To add, I have only seen one totally white deer in the wild. She used to be in the field behind our house, but lived in the city. She disappeared one day and never seen again. We are pretty sure she was poached. This was before I left home after highschool.

I have seen a couple pi balds, but never an albino in the wild. I had a few pics of the pie bald doe on the camera this past fall but never saw her when hunting. Neat to see.

Latest posts

Back