Piebald doe

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The piebald variation seems to affect only whitetail. At least, I've never seen it or heard of it in mule deer.
And Idaho also protects albinos, which I think is stupid. Seems like using emotion to manage the heard, instead of science.

I don't think they're using anything as emotion to manage the herd. I mean seriously how many could there be out there on a percentage basis. So they stop .01% of the herd from being harvested.....🤔 And I don't see the need to shoot one, other than ego and the fact of someone saying "Looky what I got".

I have seen hundreds of white deer. Looked over the sights of a 1911A1 many a time at both bucks and does.

It is closed now, but look up Seneca Army Depot White Deer. I patrolled the secure area on the midnight shift alone. This was during the time of a bit of civil unrest (Symbionese Liberation Army etc.), and wandering around that place at night checking bunkers and demil facilities could get spooky.

Ears worked better than eyes in the dark. Thankfully the noises usually turned out to be the darn white deer, but once in a while some other non human critter. Dark, thousands of acres, nobody else around.

That's an awesome deer... Something I'd love to see outside my window for years to come. Definitely not hanging on somebody's wall while they're beating their chest. IMO!

Senaca Army Depot used to have an annual hunt. It was the only way to keep the white deer from completely over running and over browsing the depot. I do not know how they deal with it now.

I read a couple articles on that after you mentioned it and it said the future is in limbo. I'm sure at some point they'll let these big time safari hunters in there to shoot their trophy of a lifetime....... Not....🤣

I don't think they're using anything as emotion to manage the herd. I mean seriously how many could there be out there on a percentage basis. So they stop .01% of the herd from being harvested.....🤔 And I don't see the need to shoot one, other than ego and the fact of someone saying "Looky what I got".
White deer are an interesting but maladaptive aberration. They are not an endangered species, or some other-worldly spiritual being. Their presence ultimately does not make the heard stronger, but weaker. On private land, it's a personal choice if one wants to let them grow and multiply, because they are a cool variation. Fine. On public land, I expect my government agency to be more concerned with the health of the heard. And I want to harvest one, and say, "Looky what I got!"
If not, then why allow hunting at all? What about deer and elk with non-typical racks? Should those be protected too?

This one has been around my place for a couple years. We also have a pure albino buck ( I'll try and find pics ) that is at least 5 years old. No one will shoot either, cool to see

Killing one is the worst thing you can do you will never see another buck don't fool with MOJO let it walk
HA HA HA !!~! A 5 pt in a nursery I hunt 51 yds never saw the horns just the hide ,turned and ran back and made a turn to right to avoid my parked truck and died at my tailgate (big horn Take down) and got it to the buck contest 5min before closing (I lost) placed 3rd and made a bag out of his hide ! Lots of folks think the bag turned out ok . Luck is mine ,the deers sucked! Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0308[1].JPG
    IMG_0308[1].JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 23
Back