Pietta 1873 percussion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddMan

Reaction score
So, I received my Pietta 1873 SAA .44 C&B from Dixie. Feels good in the hand, although the action did need a little work (Deburring and polishing) and I did install a spring kit, but timing seems to be pretty good. Very nice over all. I decided to fit a set of white pearl grips to it, so I cut them down, sanded, formed and polished them out. Being as the original was a one piece grip, it does not have an indexing pin in the frame to align the two piece. Therefore, I had to make spacers and epoxy them in place. Then I started thinking that the white pearl was a little too plain, so I changed the color. I will see how she performs and give a report in a few weeks or so.

Attachments

• DSC00305.JPG
    DSC00305.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00306.JPG
    DSC00306.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00307.JPG
    DSC00307.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00305.JPG
    DSC00305.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00307.JPG
    DSC00307.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00309.JPG
    DSC00309.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00318.JPG
    DSC00318.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00320.JPG
    DSC00320.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC00333.JPG
    DSC00333.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00335.JPG
    DSC00335.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
OH oh,..... a certain quote from George Patton comes to mind. :)
Seriously, looks good.

OH oh,..... a certain quote from George Patton comes to mind. :)
Seriously, looks good.

Good thing I'm not from New Orleans 😉 In all seriousness, pearl grips, while not widely used early on, were quite popular. Even Frank James had a set on one of his revolvers

Attachments

• lf.jpg
    lf.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Interesting springs.
The wire trigger return spring should resolve the problem of the ever present broken trigger return spring.
Also the hammer spring is quite a bit different than the original. Is it quicker, more snappy ( new/old word )
Where do you get them, and approximately how much???
Thank you!
Fred

I've got one too: 5" 'and a fraction' barrel, .357, black plastic 2 pc grips. Pietta called it the
'1873 Great Western' on the box. Really like your original grips, but happy with what I've got.

Shot high with target load, so I filed down the front sight. Locked up once, so took it apart; never found out why. Was playing with cocking and lowering hammer slowly at the time. May have released trigger at wrong time.

Very similar to my cap & ball revolvers internally.

I've got one too: 5" 'and a fraction' barrel, .357, black plastic 2 pc grips. Pietta called it the
'1873 Great Western' on the box. Really like your original grips, but happy with what I've got.

Shot high with target load, so I filed down the front sight. Locked up once, so took it apart; never found out why. Was playing with cocking and lowering hammer slowly at the time. May have released trigger at wrong time.

Very similar to my cap & ball revolvers internally.
Why file down the front sight when a gun shoots high?

Latest posts

Back