Pietta replicas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huckleberry

Reaction score
The brass 1851 is my baby. Did some finishing work on the internals of all of them which made an incalculable difference. The 1851 now has a "hair trigger" while the 1858's have a decidedly firmer pull. Part of that comes down to the wider trigger and part from the few hundred rounds I've put through the 1851 vs the couple dozen through the 1858's combined. They look and feel more, modern, and the design is less conducive to jamming, but the sublime balance of the 1851 and the feather touch to fire is magnifique... I suppose once I've mastered it I'll put some work in on the others, I'll likely save the shiny steel one for last since it seem like such a shame to dirty it up.
View media item 38

Improving the safety notch on the 1858 Remingtons.
View media item 52You can see on the steel model the unmodified hammer barely resting in the safety in the foreground with most of the light showing through the top part of the cylinder notch, while the stainless framed one in the background is more securely seated, with just a touch of light showing through the bottom of it.
View media item 56It doesn't take removal of much material to accomplish this.
View media item 54
View media item 53After filing the steel's down to the same approximate shape as the stainless the hammer sets deeper in the slot.

Latest posts

Back