Pike lures

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Late in the summer a buddy and I found an amazing pike fishery on the Mississippi Rivers Lake Pepin only 38 miles from home and we spent several weeks putting the hurt on them. Our preferred bait was a #13 Rapala Scatter Rap Minnow but being pike we soon found them to be darned pricey to be feeding to these large fish when the bit us off. The bait's color was a specific thing too so I went on-line and found an almost perfect replica unfinish bait and bought ten. After dinking with some color adjustments I came up with these two for starters. Pike will hate these critters when the #4 trebles get hung.

xodARAu.jpg

These two lures are identical in color but due to the angles on the sides of the baits what is seen can be different. The top baits shows the greenish wash between the blue in the back and the yellow underside while the lower bait completely misses it all because of the angles the baits are seen at. Pretty cool play on the colors.

Last edited:
I have always like northern fishing and live in SE Wisconsin. I have fished Lake Pepin a few times and my friend caught a pretty impressive northern, about 30" . There are not a lot of big northerns in SE WIs. so I have been going to the northern part of Green Bay in Upper Michigan. We have been getting some decent ones, of around 24 to 31" but have not caught a whole lot of them .

I have fished Lake Pepin a few times and my friend caught a pretty impressive northern, about 30" .

Lake Pepin, pool 4 of the Mississippi, has some huge pike in there. 50 years ago I got one at the head of the pool near the Red Wing Dam that taped out at 43". We saw a couple 40's last fall, released so maybe they'll be 41" this summer.

I have fished Minnesota for pike, walleyes, and bass. They all will crush Suick wooden plugs.
This is my all-time favorite color pattern. Easy to touch up the paint. I also remove the tail hook.
Red and White Suick.jpg

Well… take a look at my avatar! 😆

Frog colored Jitterbug in 5/8 oz. size, for largemouth bass and pike during daylight.

Black Jitterbug in 5/8 oz. size for dusk to dawn.

Obviously at its best with little or no wind, and in relatively shallow water. I’ve had pike smash it on top, in 8-10 feet of water.

You’ll learn the right speed by trial/error. The nice thing is that you can fish it “by ear,” in the dark. You’ll get to know the cadence by ear!

Latest posts

Back