Pistol scopes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was kinda thinking about getting a different scope for my Optima v2 pistol. The one I have now is ok but I may upgrade to something else. Problem is that there just aren't many choices out there, especially for someone who isn't wealthy. No middle of road. Very expensive or cheap junk. I know that I don't have 4 or 500 bucks for a scope.

Mr. Tom has recommended the Leapers, UTG, 2-7×32mm pistol scope. It has a red/green illuminated reticle with a bold black Duplex non-illuminated reticle.

It costs about $125.00 at Optics Planet. I was all set to buy one until my orders got screwed up by the Covid-19 mess.

I still want to get one, but am going to wait until I get the pistol back from DOC White, Bobby Hoyt, and Levi Reed.

My used Optima V2 pistol came in trade from Mtn Monkey with a Weaver, 2.5-8×28mm, Classic Handgun scope with a duplex reticle.

I bought the Warne, #M980/982M, steel, 2-pc, CVA-V2, scope bases, the Warne torque wrench, and the Warne #200LM,1", low, matte, steel, Q-D, lever, scope rings.

After the barrel comes back from Bobby Hoyt, I will have DOC White install the scope bases onto the barrel, and swap the rings over to the Weaver scope.

Then when it's time to clean the pistol, the scope is easily removed, with a guaranteed return to zero.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only experience i have had over the years with Pistol Scopes is Leupold, i have owned at least 3 of them, 2 and 4 power, my favorite was the 2 Power. It’s been a long time ago, i can’t remember what i paid for them? Gauranteed it wasn’t cheap, Being Leupold. They were Great Scopes for me, Just like Leupolds Rifle Scopes :lewis: I had them on 2 different .44 Magnum Revolvers, The last 1 i remember owning was on an S&W 500 Magnum, in an Encore Single Shot Pistol (BRUTAL Recoil)

The fixed power Loopies are tougher than woodpecker lips. :p

IIRC Burris makes or made a tough little fixed power pistol scope too. Been a long time since i had a "hand rifle".

First post! The 3 power Burris had more field of view then the 2 power leupolds. All great scopes!

I ordered the Durasight® from Muzzle Loaders. com. for $27.00.
Simple buckhorn style rear with a fiber optic front sight. I'll see how that works for me. Thanks for the help guys.

First post! The 3 power Burris had more field of view then the 2 power leupolds. All great scopes!

14ft@100yd on 3x
https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/handgun-scopes-series/handgun-scope-3-12x32mm
The old FXII 2x had over 20ft FoV@100yard so i dont know where you are getting your numbers at.
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/handgun-scopes/fx-ii-handgun-2x20mm

This is a brand often over looked but the glass they use on the Premier line is quite good Schott BaK7 and its only $160.....18ft FoV@100yd
https://www.opticsplanet.com/swift-premier-2x20-pistol-scope.html
specs_rs_PremierPistol.jpg

Not sure if that’s the same Burris LER scope your referring to! Mine was probably purchased in the late 70’s to early 80’s. Buried in the safe and I’m not looking for an argument!

None the less the FXII 2x had a 21ft FoV and its not all that old of a scope.

How much was the old 3x Burris?

Been to long ago! I know the Burris had more fov that’s why we where swapping them out. We sold the leupolds for the price of the Burris. Is all I can remember. 50 cal TC Hawkins was the weapon of choice! Oh and I quit smoking in 2003, hardest thing I ever did...

The fixed power Loopies are tougher than woodpecker lips. :p

IIRC Burris makes or made a tough little fixed power pistol scope too. Been a long time since i had a "hand rifle".

They were TOUGH for Sure :lewis: To stand up to Constant FULL TILT .44 Magnum Handloads. Same for the S&W 500 Encore Pistol i Had, I was Shooting 500 Grain Hornady XTP Bullets in it, My Handloads FULL TILT H-110 Magnum Loads :oops: The Leupold Pistol Scopes i had NEVER Failed me. I have been a BIG Leupold Fan all of my Life, i have owned a BUNCH of them over the Years, More than i could EVER Begin to remember? I I was BIG in Buy/Sell/Trade. I have only seen 1 Leupold Failure in my Life thus Far, it was a VX-1 or maybe a VX-2? 3-9X40 Rifle Scope, it happened Right out of the Box Brand New, it was replaced immediately, no questions asked

I wanted the UTG for my pistol but it was going to take months to get. I ended up with the Vortex 2x7x32 Scout scope and am happy with it and the $150 I spent for it.

Been a really long time since i had my Contenders. Cant really remember what scope i had on them but it was probably old Made In USA Burris or Leupolds. I seem to remember back then Redfield and Weaver also offered some tough pistol scopes for a bit less. One thing i remember for sure was the fixed power options held up way better to heavy recoil. Dont think i ever saw one fail.

Been a really long time since i had my Contenders. Cant really remember what scope i had on them but it was probably old Made In USA Burris or Leupolds. I seem to remember back then Redfield and Weaver also offered some tough pistol scopes for a bit less. One thing i remember for sure was the fixed power options held up way better to heavy recoil. Dont think i ever saw one fail.

There’s an OLD Memory brought back! I had an Old Original TC Contender, one of the Very first ones out, Mine was a 30-30, I ended up Buying a 14” .44 Magnum Barrel for it, And I remember WELL that i put a Brand New Leupold Scope on this Gun (So that’s about 4 of them I’ve owned :))

I had problems with my Contender and Finally Sold it. Their BIG Claim to Fame of being able to Easily Swap Barrels out was a JOKE In their Very Beginning! Kesselring’s, My Favorite Gunshop, Owner was a Good Friend of mine, They were Wa States LARGEST Leupold Dealer back in the Day, and Just an AWESOME Gunshop, They DESPISED The Old Original TC Contenders, and Refused to Carry them. I had them “Fit” the 14” .44 Magnum Barrel for me, Ron Kesselring (Owner, and Friend) looked me in the Eye and Said “If i were you, i Would Dump this thing” LOL, I didn’t have it long, i followed his Advise. Ron said the problem was interchanging the Barrels, they were NOT usually an easy “Drop in” Fit, They Required Stoning, Messing with to get them fitted properly. Mine failed within a Day, The Barrel Wouldn’t open, The Trigger Guard was Locked up Feeling? I hauled it Back up to Kesselrings, Ron took a Rubber Mallet, and NOT so Gently SMACKED it :) It freed it up, and Started opening again. This is when he gave me the “Dump it Advise”

I had a couple of TC Contender barrels (44 mag & 357 Maximum) with Leopold 2X scopes that I liked. I eventually sold the Contender and shot several deer with a revolver without the cumbersome scope.

I shot 7 deer with a Ruger Redhawk and 2 with a Ruger Blackhawk (no scopes). I've found putting a scope on a pistol takes away from why I carried a pistol in the first place. If you scope it just use a rifle. But a few years ago sold all 7 of my pistols because of my eye sight getting bad. Now I only use rifles.

Although I will sometimes hunt with a pistol only ,I'm more apt to use both a rifle and pistol. I shot one of my best bucks at approximately 5 yards, he came on my right side and being right handed I would have to twist my whole body to shoot with my long gun but since I had my revolver I just raised it up and shot. Truth is most of the deer I shot with a revolver has been less than 10 yards.

I can not be without my contender in the woods.
My latest infatuation has been with a 6x223 barrel recently acquired.
6x223 contender.jpg
The barrel looked a little funny but shot like 'nobody's business', so I carved a little 'schnoodle' forearm to keep it warm.
6x223 pic.png If a Garand and a Thompson had a baby?
Fully free-floated barrel from rear dovetail forward

Last edited:
Back