Played with the HMR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Good day to send something, so I picked up the 17HMR. I installed the bipod, which I'll just say didn't fit for squat on that little stock, but it worked.
Took the Gator down and placed shoot-n-c target on the range. 107yds to the bench.
I sent the first 5 and it was shooting just a little bit low, so the adjustment was made to bring it up and I sent 10 more.

Shooting the 20gr Hornady XTP bullet off the bipod, no rear support. The old Simmons Aetec scope, after all these years still tracks. I've had that scope for a long time, and I think it came off a Marlin 22cal that I had at one time.

IMG_1934.JPG

IMG_1935.JPG

Those 17's are such an awesome rifle. I shoo the heck out of mine and really enjoy it. The rifle usually gets a really good workout in the spring shooting ground squirrels in the clear cuts around here.... Just ton's of fun

Savage-17-HMR.jpg

I have a Cooper & rebarreled Ruger 77/22 mag in 17 HMR. It’s my favorite pest/varmint control round.

I took two prairie dogging in SD two years ago, decided it was a bit lite for that application. We did pot a few doggies with them though.

I love the 17 HMR as well. Have had a few but my Ruger 77/17 is my favorite.

Big 17 hmr fan also! My old beat up Savage 17 is the cheapest gun I own with the cheapest scope and it’s the gun I shoot the most. Stays out in the shop and gets covered in sawdust constantly. A quick dust off with the air compressor and it’s ready for any vermin that trespasses.

Was dialing in my CZ455-17HMR in April for a friend to use. At the range had some other stuff working on and had 200 yd targets up. This CZ always shot very well so I though give it a go. Shooting Horn 17gr pills.
Eye opener for me.
200 yards with a 17grainer! Doesn't shoot the 20 grain horn stuff well.17hmr200.jpg

Was dialing in my CZ455-17HMR in April for a friend to use. At the range had some other stuff working on and had 200 yd targets up. This CZ always shot very well so I though give it a go. Shooting Horn 17gr pills.
Eye opener for me.
200 yards with a 17grainer! Doesn't shoot the 20 grain horn stuff well.View attachment 9249

Very nice! Mine doesn't like the 20 grain options either.

Must have been very little wind that day!

Practically zero. What wind I did have was from me to target. No cross wind.
I was apprehensive about shooting #4 & 5 after seeing the three group.
BUT, I gottstaknow! Lol
Have you tried any other brand of 20gr pills?

Practically zero. What wind I did have was from me to target. No cross wind.
I was apprehensive about shooting #4 & 5 after seeing the three group.
BUT, I gottstaknow! Lol
Have you tried any other brand of 20gr pills?

I tried the CCI 20 grain fmj. I'm pretty sure all of the 17 HMR ammo is made by CCI and just re-branded so I doubt there's much difference between brands.

I did dispatched a Porky in May at our camp with the 17 HMR. They’ve been chewing on more trees the last few years, hard to let them be anymore. Once I maneuvered to get a clear shot it only took one.

I set him out in the open, belly up. The next afternoon there was almost zero left, besides some quills. I think it was mostly the vultures that enjoyed the meal.

I did dispatched a Porky in May at our camp with the 17 HMR. They’ve been chewing on more trees the last few years, hard to let them be anymore. Once I maneuvered to get a clear shot it only took one.

I set him out in the open, belly up. The next afternoon there was almost zero left, besides some quills. I think it was mostly the vultures that enjoyed the meal.

If it was a boar, ok, but if it was a sow, you wasted a lot of meat. We have hogs all over our deer lease, and I have never seen one chew a tree. They like to rub on the larger trees.

I love the 17 HMR as well. Have had a few but my Ruger 77/17 is my favorite.

I had one just like this, Ruger .17 VMBBZ, I had a Leupold VX-2 6-18 Scope on mine, and a Jard Trigger which was the Heart of it. There are a Few Rifles i regret letting go of over the years, this being one of them. I sold mine 10 years ago when i moved here to Idaho, not thinking I would use it here? Mine would drive a Tack at 100 Yards, literally

Latest posts

Back