Playing with Conicals

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
Couldn't sleep, a byproduct of working midnight shift. Decided to try a few rounds. Shooting an older Knight LK-93 given to be as a gift. It a stainless model with black thumb hole stock. It has a Williams Foolproof Peep Sight and a front globe sight. Shooting 80 grains of T7 FFG lit by a Winchester 209 primer with Great Plains 385 grain hollow points produced the following group at 50 yards.

20200703_122416.jpg

The first two shots are nearly touching to the right. Third shot opened up the group shooting high. I need to get to 100 yards and see how they do, if I can see that far without a scope.

Anyone have experience with these on deer and black bear. Did a search and opinions vary.

Couldn't sleep, a byproduct of working midnight shift. Decided to try a few rounds. Shooting an older Knight LK-93 given to be as a gift. It a stainless model with black thumb hole stock. It has a Williams Foolproof Peep Sight and a front globe sight. Shooting 80 grains of T7 FFG lit by a Winchester 209 primer with Great Plains 385 grain hollow points produced the following group at 50 yards.

View attachment 9610

The first two shots are nearly touching to the right. Third shot opened up the group shooting high. I need to get to 100 yards and see how they do, if I can see that far without a scope.

Anyone have experience with these on deer and black bear. Did a search and opinions vary.

Forum member Willfish4fud has killed SEVERAL Deer with them, They are DEVASTATING on them :lewis:

I used them for a bit several years back after Hornady discontinued the 410 gr version. They did the job and worked well on whitetail. Grouping wise, I never could get them to shoot as well as the 410 gr version though. If they group well from your rifle, they'll do just fine.

I want to try a few different options, but I had these in the back of the closet. I will probably pickup either the bullshop or no excuses 460's and give them a try as well. I see no excuses has a sample pack I may want to order. Just don't want to end up with a box of bullets that dont shoot for me. Any preference for 420 vs 460 grains in a 1-28 barrel?

The Federal bor lock 350 gr are shooting real well in my 1-28" barrel.

I make my own that come out as 464's shoot two deer with them and both deer didn't take a step. White Lightings shot sub-MOA with them. Not using sabots as these come out of the mold as .503's and I resize them to .501's great fit in both of my Lightings.

Last edited:
Taken around 15 white tails with these bullets in a renegade out to 160ish yards. Very accurate in LRH barrel. Shooting thru the lungs so as to not blow up shoulders n none ran more than probably 30 yds. Never recovered a bullet so no idea what they’d look like. I’d suspect excellent expansion. Shot without any wad n did get leading in barrel after 150 or so shots. When I try them in .45 in my new bullet gun I’m having built im going to start with Lewis’ cotton ball wad idea to help prevent leading hopefully. Some people don’t like the hollow point. Others don’t like the cupped base. I never saw either of these have any effect. Wouldn’t hesitate to shoot elk with it

Thanks. I'll have to look at wads. I've had some bad leading issues in a revolver and it was a real pain to get out.

Back