Please recommend a propellant that’s easier to swab (besides Blackhorn 209) and a regimen between shots for a gun that’s hard to load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pyrodex P is FFFG equivalent, apparently formulated for pistols. Fine in a modern inline gun though. I went ahead and bought some to try. Closing in on 777 for velocity.

here is a link to their load data on powders and pellets. Note that it’s based on 24” barrel except for the magnum pellets. Implicit that Pyrodex P is not only safe in modern rifles, it’s 50-100 FPS faster than RS!

https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/muzzleloading_manual_2008.pdf

Nope I’ve used them in my 45 and 50 Whites for years. I no longer have the 50cal as I felt you didn't need a magnum bullet for deer. My 45 Cal squirrel rifle does all ill ever need and then some. (Private joke with guys that know me).

I picked up some Pyrodex Select RS today at Dunham’s, and a 54 cal bore brush. I went oversize on purpose, learned the hard way that the 50 cal brush isn’t doing much to the bore. Last time I cleaned it with a 20 gauge brush instead.

I am going to try the 54 cal brush and patch with the 777. Assuming it does not stick like the jag/patch do.

Back