Plunger Assembly Retainer Pin Priblems

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdporter

Reaction score
While I was shooting Monday, I had the plunger assembly fly out of the receiver.... twice. Last two shots of the day. Nipple isn’t worn out but the retainer pin for the plunger is.. made a new one on the lathe, and made it a touch longer. This is the second S91 I’ve had this happen with...

Attachments

• 665BFC5F-D944-49B7-9EA4-9E19FE36047C.jpeg
    665BFC5F-D944-49B7-9EA4-9E19FE36047C.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 51C41A3C-DD3E-4646-970F-01E953AE1CBE.jpeg
    51C41A3C-DD3E-4646-970F-01E953AE1CBE.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 14
Probably why Doc White changed it to a threaded screw in bolt. Just a guess, but first one's were slotted then thumb knurled screw in.
I prefer the knurled one.

+1 I would suggest doing the conversion.
Yeah, I’m gonna do just that. I was just looking at it earlier today to try and figure out how to set it up in the mill, so I don’t drill out the hole “cattywampus”. I gotta take it from .200” +/- to .213” to tap it 1/4-28.
Thinking of remaking the receivers to the Whitetail style. That’s a good, no nonsense action right there. Doc hit the jackpot on that one, I believe anyway...

I also like the G series BG series style. The S91 pull cock style is getting harder to use, had to go with a shorter spring which helped.
I'll be waiting to see what you decide on.

I also like the G series BG series style. The S91 pull cock style is getting harder to use, had to go with a shorter spring which helped.
I'll be waiting to see what you decide on.
1590728650366.jpeg
I made this handle for my .451 S91 because it was downright scary to let the plunger down on a hot cap, with the scope in the way and all....
It’s now in my tackle box cause I thought it might be causing some accuracy issues. Turns out it was the breech plug, just haven’t put it back on yet.
Have played with a couple of different designs to make the rifle easier to use and more safe. The best design I have thought up, I haven’t implemented yet. Maybe one of these days... too many projects...

I like it!! Makes her look like an AR....
I doubt the plunger/hammer would go all the way to the nipple unless you pulled the trigger at the same time. I would not suggest letting the hammer down on a live cap.
If you decide to reinvent the side assembly bolt or make some knurled thumb size, I would be interested in buying a couple. ;)

I like it!! Makes her look like an AR....
I doubt the plunger/hammer would go all the way to the nipple unless you pulled the trigger at the same time. I would not suggest letting the hammer down on a live cap.
If you decide to reinvent the side assembly bolt or make some knurled thumb size, I would be interested in buying a couple. ;)
About 50% (or more) of the time, where I hunt, you don't have time to fumble with a cap, or you're going hungry...

I load the rifle at home then cap my rifle when I get out of the truck when going on a hunt, with both safeties engaged. When I get to the blind or place I'm going I take off the secondary safety.
Some shots at deer come fast like said.

Latest posts

Back