Plunger gun and BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward.penny

Reaction score
Does anyone here shoot BH209 through a plunger gun? I have read on some sites that you shouldn't do it but on some people haven't had trouble doing it .I have plenty of Black MZ powder for now but shoot a pound every month or so. Just looking for a replacement when I'm out.

Do not shoot BH209 out of a plunger gun. It’s not worth the risk of injuring you and bystanders.

My understanding is the pressure curve of BH209 is longer than black or other subs. As such with heavier charges, it can blow the striker back far enough to allow the primer to eject. The late ( great) Cayuga wrote of having to have a chunk of 209 primer removed from his forehead.
Besides, I've never heard of anyone getting reliable ignition from BH209 in a plunger gun.
I've used a couple different subs, but went back to Holy Black. Swiss to be precise, and am completely happy. All the fun. None of the fuss.

I agree with the above, not in a plunger gun! I use an like triple seven powder with a #11 cap there is very little to no crud ring!

The factory in all its publications tells you in no uncertain terms not to use 209 in plunger guns, rifles or shotguns.

I have tried it. Don't do it. One of the more stupid things I have done...

My primers ended up lanching from the breech...

I have shot plenty of BH209 loads using the red plastic jacket primer holders in my Wolverine Magnum with no problems. Never had one come off the nipple, but a load over 100grV can partially re-cock the plunger.

To be specific, never had a FPJ come off the nipple with my chosen 90grV load. Get closer to 100grV and over and they will.

And, the BP must be very clean.

Had an American Knight with the fpj. Ditched it quick for a regular striker and plug. Every time I fired a shot, I felt like my forehead was getting sandblasted. Was only shooting 60 gr of 3f T7 at the time. No such problems with muskets or #11s

I shoot a knight bighorn using the one and only real black powder using 85 - 90 grain loads. When I bought my rifle it came with two nipples, one for #11 caps and one for top hat (musket caps) I tried the #11s first and then the musket caps. I had ignition with both but had trouble loading the #11s due to their small size. They also stuck to the nipple after firing and I had trouble removing them. With the musket caps I had easier loading and removal and felt I had better ignition. The only trouble I have had with the musket caps was one manufacturers caps tended to get crushed in the loading tool. I do not shoot any of the bp substitutes because none of my rifles are set up for 209 ignition. Besides I have shot a great buck at 129 yards and it only went about 5 steps. I don't need any more power than that.

I have been using BH209 in both of my two Mk85s (50 and 54 cal) successfully since 2011. Several jugs. That is all I will post publically. PM if anyone wants more info.

Bill V

I use it in my Big Horn and never had an issue with the Red FPJ and 209 primers. It would blow my caps apart and create fragments that hit my arms. So I use it with the FPJ, and if I was using caps I would go back to T73F.

Bighorns are NOT recommended to use Blackhorn in. Most inlines aren't. Something about the plunger coming back thru your head with too hot of a load.

This is nonsense. BH209 is not recommended in plunger type inlines and inlines with an open ignition system, but OK to use in any modern inline with an enclosed ignition system. Most new inlines being manufactured today can use BH209. The plunger will not be blown out of the rifle but fragments from the cap can be.

Back