POI change with altitude change

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use strelock. It allows you to put in the elevation, barometric pressure and temperature for "sight in". Then when going hunting I can put in the current altitude, barometric pressure, and temp and the drop is calculated accordingly, there is a toggle under zeroing weather labeled "zeroing weather. Enabled" that you have to make sure is "on". I would assume most decent calculators have this ability.
Then it's best to check how accurate it is calculating the drop vs. reality. I set up a couple of my modern rifles without a chrono and just adjusted the velocity in the calculator until the drop it showed matched what I was actually seeing on target.
Even only shooting at 1000', if you get the calculator matching your actual results on target you then should be fine to move to 7000' and input the new altitude and weather data into your calculator. You could even check it when you get to hunting camp, simply put in the new altitude and weather data, see where it says you'll hit at 100 yards, and then shoot and see if it is correct.

One thing I like about Strelok, is that you can set your zero at a certain altitude, say 1000', then after all the data is completed, you can change the altitude and it will give you the change.
I will admit I haven't used it since using the custom.

There's two suggestions of Strelok. ;) You can down load it FREE from the Google store or from apple right to your phone.
Strelok is a free, whereas Strelok Pro is about $12. The Pro version has just about every reticle, so its easy to pick yours from the list.
Applied Ballistics is rated #1, but its not free and costs around $30.

OK.....................we know the mv is 1400 fps; we know the bullet weight is 465g; we don't know the ballistic coefficient.

Guessing the ballistic coefficient of this bullet to be 0.25 guessing

465boolit1000.jpg

465boolit7000.jpg
I wouldn’t have expected 5” at 300 yards. Maybe a couple. That’s crazy

I missed a dandy mule deer the year I bought my first White (.504 Whitetail) had to be 1991 or thereabouts. He was about 200 yards away, down hill, (no rangefinders those days) I had a good solid rest, put my red dot right on the top of his back, squeezed the trigger, and was surprised to see the bullet hit just high. I had only shot the rifle at out to 200 yards at 2500’ and knew it hit about 16” low. I was hunting at about 4000’. Never practiced a down hill shot before, yep blew that one...
I wish i could practice 100yd uphill and downhill shots. Tough to find that terrain in southern Michigan tho

There's two suggestions of Strelok. ;) You can down load it FREE from the Google store or from apple right to your phone.
Strelok is a free, whereas Strelok Pro is about $12. The Pro version has just about every reticle, so its easy to pick yours from the list.
Applied Ballistics is rated #1, but its not free and costs around $30.
I like Strelok Pro, too. There is also the Strelok+ for half the Pro price.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back