Poll - What style of bullet are you currently primarily using for hunting in an inline rifle?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What style of bullet are you currently using for hunting?

• Full-bore conical

Votes: 40 27.4%
  • Bullet-to-bore/Land rider

Votes: 23 15.8%
  • Sabot/Bullet

Votes: 83 56.8%

• Total voters
Full-bore conical: like a White conical, FPB, Bore Driver, Powerbelt, etc

Bullet-to-bore sized jacketed bullet: Fury, Pittman, Arrowhead, etc
Must be the modern era…
In my mind: Full bore is bullet to bore, regardless of projectile.

What would a pre-rifled bullet be called?
Thanks

Must be the modern era…
In my mind: Full bore is bullet to bore, regardless of projectile.

What would a pre-rifled bullet be called?
Thanks
Yes, I think see where your thought process is headed. But I’m interested in your thoughts. Perhaps there is a distinction being made here without a difference. A pre-rifled bullet as in full-formed bullet is a bullet-to-bore application.

Last edited:
My thoughts are: go shoot and find out what works.
I started out with heavy conicals (Paper Patch) 30+ years ago and haven’t seen or tried anything to change my mind. I’ve witnessed quite a few not back their claim in a match, but they did try vs those that never do attend.
From making your own molds, casting your own bullets, harvesting game, winning matches and setting records.. I have to say - it still works.
Best of luck in your quest.

My thoughts are: go shoot and find out what works.
I started out with heavy conicals (Paper Patch) 30+ years ago and haven’t seen or tried anything to change my mind. I’ve witnessed quite a few not back their claim in a match, but they did try vs those that never do attend.
From making your own molds, casting your own bullets, harvesting game, winning matches and setting records.. I have to say - it still works.
Best of luck in your quest.
Unfortunately, in the not too distant future, hunting with lead will not be an option for many of us….

TC Hawken : 240gr Pa Conical and playing w/ 385gr HGP conical
CVA Optima V2: 240 Pa Conical (just harvested a doe Sunday with it). Fantastic results at 60 yd shot.

I like the simplicity of conicals. Keeps the game fun, simple and effective for me.

TC Hawken : 240gr Pa Conical and playing w/ 385gr HGP conical
CVA Optima V2: 240 Pa Conical (just harvested a doe Sunday with it). Fantastic results at 60 yd shot.

I like the simplicity of conicals. Keeps the game fun, simple and effective for me.
That is a draw to the conical. No sabots to deal with.

Also with the conical, if you have a sizer and can mess w diameters you can tailor your bullet to your bore perfectly.

A lot to be said about a full diameter heavy bullet. Not much can stop it and it will leave a good hole to leak.

Bullet to bore 265 Fury STB in my 45cal 1:20 Mongrel Omega with a GM barrel. For those wondering about performance on deer. That is a 265 g Fury after passing through humourus and on side rib, through the heart and another rib going out. Caught on off side skin. Final weight is 234 gr and approximate .750" in diameter.

Attachments

• 20221119_193912.jpg
    20221119_193912.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
I used 250 grain T/C Shockwaves in a Crush Rib sabot for many years with excellent results but I bought some 260 grain Nosler PB’s earlier this year and sighted all my rifles in with them.
My daughter put one to good use a week or so ago.

Attachments

• A2E0DC20-839E-422D-BB0C-3ECBA2BB6FB4.jpeg
    A2E0DC20-839E-422D-BB0C-3ECBA2BB6FB4.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 536E4F9E-ED60-45E9-8F7D-55895AAA288E.jpeg
    536E4F9E-ED60-45E9-8F7D-55895AAA288E.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Back