Poll - What style of bullet are you currently primarily using for hunting in an inline rifle?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What style of bullet are you currently using for hunting?

• Full-bore conical

Votes: 40 27.4%
  • Bullet-to-bore/Land rider

Votes: 23 15.8%
  • Sabot/Bullet

Votes: 83 56.8%

• Total voters

ElDiablo

Supporting member
Reaction score
Though it would be interesting to see the percentages of guys here currently shooting the various styles of bullets in their inlines for hunting and hear why

Full-bore conical: like a White conical, FPB, Bore Driver, Powerbelt, etc

Bullet-to-bore sized jacketed bullet: Fury, Pittman, Arrowhead, etc

Sabot with bullet

I shot full-bore .50 Thors in Colorado this year due to the regulations there. I also shot .45 bullet to bore here in NV. But, sabots (mostly 300 gr shockwaves in recent years) have been my go-to for 25+ years.

Last edited:
i haven't shot a deer yet , but a .458 monoflex with a MMP sabot will hopefully seal the deal quickly when i'm ready to pull the trigger on my old optima .

I shoot mostly sabot and bullet. My Optima does shoot the .503 Thor's really well. I tried them last week in my Redemption and just couldn't get the tight group I was looking for. The 300grn xtp was one ragged hole at 50yds. About 3/4 inch eight shot group. I do intend to try the Thor's in several other guns such as my Knight Vision.

In a 45, a soft lead conical is just plain simple and any powder works pretty well. No worries about achieving enough impact speed with soft lead. No short starter needed so thats one less thing to carry. About $50-60/100 at Bullshop and wads as cheap as $20/1000 if you can get by without wool.

No deer will just walk away from a 420gr bullet shot at 1300-1400fps within 200 yards. You will have 2 holes virtually every single time too. Even a 1-30 should be able to shoot that bullet fairly well.

Though it would be interesting to see the percentages of guys here currently shooting the various styles of bullets in their inlines for hunting and hear why

Full-bore conical: like a White conical, FPB, Bore Driver, Powerbelt, etc

Bullet-to-bore sized jacketed bullet: Fury, Pittman, Arrowhead, etc

Sabot with bullet
Sized 275gr Fury St2P in my Paramount, 220gr .40 Dead Center in LBCR sabot in my Accura.

My Optima pistol likes the green sabot with either a 225 grain XPB or a 240 grain XTP. They shoot identical with a 63 weighed grain [90 by volume] charge. Either bullet will stop a whitetail very quickly. Last year I shot a 6 point with the 225 XPB and it dropped on the spot. Several years back I shot a 9 point using the 240 XTP and he didn't go 20 yards. Trashed his chest cavity.

Here's an XPB from a doe this year at 35 yards from the Optima pistol.1669338872692.png

Last edited:
Currently Federal Bore locks but I am thinking of either going to a 400+ grain conical or a 300 grain bullet with sabot.

My shooting is done mainly under 50 with most shots being less than half of that.

Last edited:
.52 cal. Knight rifles: full-bore cast lead slugs from 300 to 610 grns.

.45 cal. Knights and Omegas: .45/.40 and .45/.357 sabots with any bullets from 200 grains down to a 70 grn .360 RB

Optima V2 pistol: .490 PRBs, .50/.430 sabots with any 200 to 310 grn bullets, REALs, Minies, Maxis, and full bore slugs from 250 to 440 grns.

Traditions Buck Hunter Pro pistol (12" w/ MB): .50/.430 sabots with any 180 to 240 grn bullets, .50/.452 sabots with .454 RBs.

Muzzy , Since this post from yesterday are you still holding on that deer? “ Currently trying to shoot a deer with .40 200xtp.”.
:roll:

Kidding aside.
Knight 45- 260 gr Lehigh. Smooth .
( Thanks to MML’s Sabotloader reccomend)

45 SMLS - Fury’s 250 -300 range. Some FTX now and then.

50 CVA. MR. 270 Fed Bore Lock.

50 Savage SML- 45 -250 FTX or SST and MMP HPH sabot.

Bullets are in the same league as golf clubs ( if you play) . Gotta try that new one! lol

Back