Poll - Which Powder for Hunting and Why?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which powder are you using for hunting?

• Black powder

• Pyrodex

• Triple Seven

• Blackhorn 209

• Something Else

Results are only viewable after voting.

ElDiablo

Supporting member
Reaction score
I thought this would be an interesting poll. Which powder do you primarily use now for hunting? Why do you shoot it? Availability, reliability, ease of use, accuracy, cost, cleanliness? Some other reason?

For me, with a non-smokeless in-line, primarily hunting multiple species in several western states, BH209 is what I shoot 95% of the time. It’s clean, accurate and powerful. I have used nearly all the other choices over the past 35 years.

bh209 for its cleanliness. I believe i could switch back to t7 easily enough if i had to. I have never used pyrodex or real black even tho i have both on hand.

In my traditional guns, I only ever use real black powder for hunting.
I only have 1 inline and prefer blackhorn. But I will use Triple 7 also.

depends on which muzzleloader I'm hunting with. In my Disc/bolt guns BH209 and in my White or sidelock Black powder. I use 777 occasionally for hunting, also other then the crud ring I actually like 777 better then BH209.

Swiss for my sidelocks and Whites. Because I get very good accuracy and velocity.
BH 209 for my Encores and Omegas. For the same reasons as above, plus not having to swab between shots and no crud ring.

Black Swiss for sidelocks to stay traditional.
Blackhorn for Inlines traveling
T7 for hunting near home

Last edited:
I chose 'Something Else'. I used BH209 only when I had my CVA Optima V2 50. Since I got my Scout conversion, it been nothing but 'Something Else'. If I ever go back, it will be BH209 again, but that's a very big 'if'.

Right now I use 777, but I have bought a stash of BH209 and a new to me Optima so soon to be BH209. I also hunted with FF black powder, but I am done hunting with my Hawken. These old eyes need a scope nowadays.

I use BH209 in my 209 primer rifles (bolt knights & omega's), and in my #11 cap plunger Knights and my Renegade, I use Pyrodex in those. The last 5yrs I've only hunted with my BH209 rifles.

If not using smokeless then BH209. I do keep a bottle of T7-3F for my White 410, Although I do have a 209 conversion for this rifle
Still cleaner than T7 and in my opinion the best substitute by far

Greg

Latest posts

Back