Poor accuracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNLR22

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the site, but not muzzleloading. Having some accuracy issues with my Winchester Apex .45. The rifle always shot good before but now I'm getting like "6 groups at 100 yds. Here is what I've done so far.

Checked scope mount screws for tightness.
Checked scope ring screws for tightness.
Tried different powder charges from like 110 grains down to 95.
Tried weighing powder charges to make them exact.
Tried four different bullets. Hornady 200 SST (this has always been my go to bullet)
223 gr power belt premium
195 gr .357 PR bullet.
180gr .40 PR bullet
Tried at least 3 different kinds of 209 primers.
Shooting 3 shot groups and then cleaning the rifle totally.
Tried a different scope.

Really scratching my head. This gun has always shot better than this, it's never been a one holer but I've killed lots of deer with it.

Thanks

Scope is a Vortex Viper HS LR.

I tried and older Redfield I have and the results seem to be the same.

Can a breech plug make that much of a difference in accuracy?
If the flash hole is worn, absolutely.
When I shot the Encore platform rifles, I'd go through a breech plug about every two months. Accuracy will start to decline and I'd exchange plugs.

I almost sold my first Kodiak (exactly the same gun) for the same reason. The guy i bought it from gave me the same advice, “try a new breech plug first”.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll have to get at least two breech plugs ordered.

There… I fixed your post, for you! 😂

Down the line, consider having a plug or two modified to accept a vent liner. That will give longer life.

If you’re unfamiliar with the vent liner concept, do a search on this site. 👍

Haha
How hard would it be to modify one myself? I have an old lathe in the garage. Does it just need to be drilled out and then tapped? Didn't know how hard they would drill.

Haha
How hard would it be to modify one myself? I have an old lathe in the garage. Does it just need to be drilled out and then tapped? Didn't know how hard they would drill.
If you have any doubt about doing it yourself you could send it off to Tom at Badger Ridge.

need a vent liner. SSK or Badger Ridge sells them. They are threaded 10-32. Drill out old BP with a #21 and tap 10-32, counter sink to take vent line. Install vent liner, shoot.

Thanks for your guys replies. I haven't had a chance to order a new breech plug yet. This isn't a new load for the rifle it's always shot good before.

Didn't know how hard they would drill.

Not so hard. Make it look like this:

849f0a08b28212ed07d0da854b655b7d.jpg

3eee5c11b6ea14176fdea90a363f492d.jpg

948b4edc78eec974ef7f07deaf6cf459.jpg

Back