poor frizzen spark

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmycrockett85

Reaction score
any suggestions to get better spark? i tried replacing the flint, no such luck. gun sparks when it feels like it even on the dryest of days. is there anything i can do to the frizzen surface other than brazzing or tacking hardened steel to it. i think i can pick up a new one for under $30 but id like to try something else first

jimmycrockett85 said:
any suggestions to get better spark? i tried replacing the flint, no such luck. gun sparks when it feels like it even on the dryest of days. is there anything i can do to the frizzen surface other than brazzing or tacking hardened steel to it. i think i can pick up a new one for under $30 but id like to try something else first

I watched a Video way back on Hardening a Frizzen, The best i can remember the Guy Heated the Frizzen super hot and Oil quenched it? “tempering the steel” i will see if i can Find that Video, it was a Long time ago when i seen it, and I cannot remember exactly what all he did?
What kind of rifle do you have? I have some Flintlock Parts here that i have ZERO use for, Some flints, Hammer Assembly, and Frizzen.

sadly nothing fancy here. i have a Traditions Deerhunter .50cal. im sure bottom of the line but it shoots pretty true when it does. i use the flints that are like brownish amber color. looks like chipped stone. i have never tried the tc ones but i was told not to those are the black squares

jimmycrockett85 said:
sadly nothing fancy here. i have a Traditions Deerhunter .50cal. im sure bottom of the line but it shoots pretty true when it does. i use the flints that are like brownish amber color. looks like chipped stone. i have never tried the tc ones but i was told not to those are the black squares

Pretty sure the ones i have are white? I would assume cheap? I came across a Tackle box full of Muzzleloader Parts at a Pawn shop quite sometime ago, It must have belonged to a Gunsmith, Or Possibly a Sport store? Most of everything in the Box is in sealed plastic Packages, lots of Screws, Parts, n Pieces, Mostly for TC

I don’t know if this will work, but I hear a lot of people replace their Frizzins with Lymans. Might be a cheaper, easier way to resolve your problem?

look for English flints(made in England I think :D ) I've heard they are made from the best flint.

jimmycrockett85 said:

You can also try turning the flint bevel down in the jaw.
May not improve the geometry on your lock but at this point don't see how it could hurt anything except maybe chip off more flint on impact. You are trying to get more sparks in the pan. If the flint scraps the frizzen long you may get more sparks

these are all great tips. i have not tried the "upside down" flint but will do so. i didnt know if sanding it or taking to a wire wheel would help? i know i have been told not to let it get too hot or it may lose its temper. the video you are referring to i believe i found on youtube. blue flame, heat from front, quench in sunflower oil. i may try that at a later time. its like whats the worst i can do as long as myself or nobody else is hurt. would you be able to send a picture of these spare parts to my e-mail? would you be willing to sell them? i have nothing to trade, my diddy box is just beginning but im getting there

i use something in a red can. this oldtimer gave me a pill bottle of it last year. it is ffff. he only shoots FL so im assuming its the right stuff. it shot fine the past 2 years but it dosnt throw much of a spark like 1 maybe 2 sparks every 3 or 4 strikes. my uncles is like a grinder shower

Did you try napping your Flint I carry a piece of pole barn Spike cut off about 3 inches down from the head cut a slot on the side of it and take your napping Hammer if you have one and place the slot it on top of the edge of the Flint and make the Flint a little bit more jagged may help and yes Lyman makes very good locks I have a great plains rifle 50 cal. Shot competition for about 10 years have about 12000 rounds through it same lock and barrel , I'm up to an .024 thick patch still take it Pennsylvania late flintlock season for deer still shoots fine

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Lots of info on hardening a frizzen in the gun building section over on american long rifles forum. Also info on re-soling a frizzen with carbon steel for better sparking.
Hope you figure it out. :D

I agree, English flints are the best. I've never had a problem with my muzzleloader. I build them and use Siler locks so that is a plus also.

Jimmy,
One other thing that helps....I hunt a lot with mine and one thing you never want to do is touch the face of your frizzen with your fingers....I always wipe my frizzen with alcohol or acetone before I put my 4f pan powder in the pan. Then wipe frizzen with DRY paper towel ......Any oil of any sort will hinder your spark.

I suppose high carbon steel, red hot, then quenched, then tempered to a blue-dark blue hue should give good spark. Not tried yet. To soft: chips of metal but no sparks, to hard: the flint will slip and even get damaged. On the other hand i made a number of leaf springs with good results? No breakage so far, just one lazy spring corrected later. Always polish my metal to a mirror before tempering, makes the colors appear very clearly.

Latest posts

Back