pork breakfast sausage....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
rmIFGYy.jpg

....just over 24 pounds. I love this sausage anytime and don't want to run out. I still have 10-12 packages from last August's batch so I'll be set not until late July/early August again.

This is a great seasoning blend I use from Waltons. Holly is the name of it. Has a little sage and some heat but not hot. Ma, a daughter and I chowed down the stuffer plug and a few links that's split during stuffing at noon today and it was a fine bit of dining. 32 packs all sealed in the freezer now.

Next up, pork bratwurst.

What Cut of Pork did you use to make that? Looks great.

I use pork butts, Shawn. This is pretty close to 70% lean with all the fat from the shoulder going into the mix. I bone and cube the shoulders to get 25 pounds, give or take a few ounces, and then mix the seasonings in and cover the lug overnight before grinding. I double ground the pork thru a coarse plate and let the ground meat rest overnight in the lug again. I used sheep casings too in case you're wondering. I hand twist each link using the span of the inside my hand from index finger to little finger to measure the links and twist one direction on one then the other direction on the other and on and on for the whole string of links made. After the picture was taken I snipped each link apart and packaged them in pint sealing bags of ten links then vacuum sealed them. The sealed packages average 3/4 pound which is plenty for Ma and I .

When these fry up there is hardly any grease in the pan. This is maybe the healthiest sausage link of slice that a person can put his teeth in.

Homemade pork sausage is delicious. We make similar with Boston Butts and AC LEGG #10 seasoning plus a little crushed red pepper!

Thanks MrTom. Sort of thought that was the cut you were using. I had high hopes to make several pounds of venison snack sticks, breakfast sausage and Bacon this year but My deer season got scrapped due to the NY Travel restrictions. So no Venison in my freezer this year. 😢 Thats not happened in the last 37 years. Gonna have to watch the sales for some pork butts and try making some of those tasty sausages.

I watch pork sales all year and when bone-less loins go on sale at $1.49/pd I snatch a couple up. The pork butts are on sale for $.99/pd just about every month and I'll grab one or two a month and keep them in the freezer for sausage making. I might smoke one every now and again for pulled pork but that goes along way with me and I don't do it a whole lot. I like my sausage. I try to find the butts in the 10-12 pound range because they tend to carry a bit more fat. I try to go into fall with 12-14 butts in the freezer and as I cut them for sausage I trim out some very lean meat to cut into stir-fry strips, maybe a pound a butt.

Stay safe people.

That looks really good! Years ago I made some sausage out of rabbits. I thought it was pretty good but nobody has requested it again.

Looks great. I am from Louisiana and we have an abundance of wild hogs. I usually put up 50 lbs of patty sausage and 50 lbs. of link from them. I use Rebel seasoning and it works great.

Latest posts

Back