Post a good deer canning recipe you have used.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Offshore

Reaction score
I began canning wild game two years ago and really enjoy the end product. I would like to here of any recipes you may have for deer, elk, moose or goat that just knocked your socks off. . .ESPECIALLY, those old "hand me down" family recipes. I have had a very exceptional year so far with my hunts and have a lot that I wish to can. Thank you.

I found a recipe by googling Easy Canned Venison, i can not vouch for it but My old School Hunting friend now deceased raved about his mother canning venison in the pre refrigeration time. It would be fun to try some. I may do so.

I have canned venison many years ago when my mom was living. We just packed the jars with cubed meat with salt, one tablespoon or two. She did the canning while I helped.
The meat was very good, moist, you could eat it out of the jar. It was great in soup or over noodles!

cube the meat into bite size pieces and pack into pint jars. make sure not to fill to full, leave it down about 1/2 inch from the top. add 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 table spoon vegetable oil. 40 minutes in pressure cooker. great with cream of mushroom soup on toast for a fast simple meal. taco's and burritos are fast easy and really good. we try to put up around 20 jars a year for when we want something fast and simple.

My grandparents always canned deer, and it was one of my favorite things to eat as a kid. After they passed, I hadn’t had it for 20 years until I talked my sister into canning some last year. Turned out just like I remembered.
We didn’t have the original recipe, but here is her method:
Sear the meat but keep it very rare, you just want the flavor from the sear. Put it in the jars without any bouillon or water (just the juices from the sear) and with pressure canning it, it cooks in its own juices then — but the jar is only half full of liquid and some people don't like that. You can also nearly fill the jars with water/beef broth and the meat if you’d like.

Simple as could be, but absolutely tender and delicious. We usually have it over noodles.

I’m tempted to do some “add-ins” listed by others, yet I enjoy it so much as is, I’d be hard-pressed to make a change. We’ll be canning an entire buck next weekend.

I have canned venison for years. I would stay away from run the pressure cooker at 20 psi. Most companies have a max pressure of 15 psi. Just increase your cooking time to make up for the lower pressure. It recommended to cook beef in quart jars at 10 psi for 90 minute. I usually go for 75 and turn the heat source off and let it coast for the last 15. With pint jars I usually go with running burner for an hour.

My original recipe was a bee bullion cube to the cold packed jars. Now I use onion soup mix or gravy packets. Its a little more expensive but I like the taste, Add some water to the jars too before putting the lids on. Put the lids in warm water for about 5 minutes before sealing the jars up, this will create a better seal.

To serve the canned venison I have two family favorite concoctions, one I add it to Hamburger Helper. Skip the browning of the burger step and follow the direction. My second is deer stew, combine equal amounts of canned venison with frozen vegetables and fresh Cole slaw mix. The cabbage makes for a hearty meal. At times I add some water and corn starch to thicken up the liquid in the stew.

Aside note the serving the canned venison, I remove the lid and place the canned venison in a microwave for 90 seconds and pour off the liquid, This has improved the flavor of the meat.

If you have questions about this PM me and I will try to get back to you quickly.

Been canning for years. Cube meat size no larger than 2", remove fat but not all. 1tsp salt, 1tsp pepper, 1tbs ground garlic, 1/2" slice jalapeno or habenero if you like spicy, 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke and several slices of onion in qt jars. Leave 1/2-1" space from the top. Pressure cook with 10lbs for 90 minutes. Great on rice or in spaghetti. Freezer went out years ago and lost all my venison and other frozen meats. Learned a valuable lesson.

How long will the canned meat last stored in a cool, dark place (pantry or basement)?

As long as the jar remains sealed an stored in a cool dry place it should last many years. I don't remember keeping ours longer than two years tho...like said!

We add 1 beef bouillon cube per pint of raw canned meat, 2 for quarts, nothing else. 10 psi for 75 minutes for pints, 90 for quarts. Now the good part.
Drain the juice from the jar(s ) into a measuring cup, add water to make up the difference in how many brown gravey packets you'll need. Put the meat in a saucepan, add the measured liquid, your brown gravey mix. Smash the meat up while it warms and thickens.
Get yourself a plate with a big scoop of mashed potatoes in the center, put some whole canned sweat corn on the taters, then cover with your meat/gravey, add some shredded cheddar cheese on top. My kids call this
KFC BOWLS. It's amazing. Having this today now that I'm thinking of it...lol

We add 1 beef bouillon cube per pint of raw canned meat, 2 for quarts, nothing else. 10 psi for 75 minutes for pints, 90 for quarts. Now the good part.
Drain the juice from the jar(s ) into a measuring cup, add water to make up the difference in how many brown gravey packets you'll need. Put the meat in a saucepan, add the measured liquid, your brown gravey mix. Smash the meat up while it warms and thickens.
Get yourself a plate with a big scoop of mashed potatoes in the center, put some whole canned sweat corn on the taters, then cover with your meat/gravey, add some shredded cheddar cheese on top. My kids call this
KFC BOWLS. It's amazing. Having this today now that I'm thinking of it...lol
Do you add any water to the jars or just let it make it's own liquid as it pressure cooks?

Glad to see this thread - been wanting to start doing this myself. I did can come pickles this summer & want to get a pressure canner to do this thanks!

Back