Post a good deer canning recipe you have used.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I'll have to give this a try....gives me a reason to bust another one this coming week during KY ML season.

Could you thaw frozen meat and then pressure can or is this a recipe for food poisoning?

no problem thawing and canning the meat. i have some 2 lb packs ready to thaw and put in jars-each quart jar will hold about 1.7 lb.

i learned to put a bouillon cube in with a dash of canning salt. a tsp of cavendars goes well also with the bouillon cube.

recently we have tried several seasonings from cabelas and high mountain. chipolte and maple bourbon are fast becoming out favorites. it takes about 3 tbl per qt to get good flavor.

we have also tried soy, teriyaki and barbeque sauce, but did not like the result.

we can outside or in the garage on fish cookers. much easier than on the stove. an hour at 15 lb does the trick.

arkNeki.jpg

I didn't see your post until I looked it up. How long can you store "frozen then canned" before it goes bad?

Canning frozen meat
Can your freezer
North and South Dakota Extension Services: If meat must be held for longer than a few days before canning, freeze it. Store frozen meat at 0 F or lower until canning time.”

University of Minnesota Extension: Is it safe to can thawed frozen meat? Yes, as long as the meat has been thawed in the refrigerator. Refrigerator Thawing: Allow 24 hours for every 5 pounds of meat. Once thawed, can the meat within 2 days. When ready to can, do not let thawed meat remain at room temperature for more than 2 hours.”

Washington State: If you are not able to can the meat within a few days of slaughter, freeze it. Keep frozen until you’re ready to can it, and then thaw in a refrigerator.”

I like canned venison we always just cubed it, one TSP salt and that’s it. I have wanted to try adding a bunch of garlic and maybe a few pepper corns. It’s always super tender but it lacked the good onion and garlic flavor I always am looking for!

I like to add a chunk of onion and garlic into each jar, along with a pinch of kosher salt. Otherwise can as usual. Elk or deer I love them both on a sandwich.

Back