pouch/container for hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobnoffs

Reaction score
hi all,
i am looking to buy something to carry your supplies/ equipment for a day of deer hunting. not for a range day.this will be a gift so i am looking for something really nice.
appreciate it.

Lot of variables here, Are you thinking a Leather Possibles Bag type? I have a Good Friend that uses a Fanny pack turned around facing forward, For Rugged Reliability Hunting this is Precisely what i would do!

If a Leather Purse style (Possibles bag) is what you prefer, There are several places/makers online that do this stuff, You can get as fancy as you want :yeah:

For shooting bags (often called possibles bags) you can find them on ebay, Track of the Wolf, October Country, The Possibles Shop, etc., etc.
You will find a wide price range and anything from pretty basic to downright fancy.

From experience and reading I will say that most buy too big of a bag and put too much stuff in it and then end up buying a smaller bag and taking stuff out that they haven't ever needed in the field. I like about an 8" x 8" bag. I also like a divider in the main pouch and then a smaller pocket on the inside back of the bag, it really helps to organize and find stuff quicker.
With my percussion rifle I have a nipple pick/cap remover tool, nipple wrench, jag (which is sometimes just left on the end of the ramrod), powder flask, ball bag with only about 5 in it if deer hunting, short starter, palm saver (I'm a wimp lol), old cap tin with prelubed patches in it, and an old plastic snuff can with damp swab patches in it. I wear a capper and a homemade antler powder measure around my neck. My ramrod has a built in ball puller in it. About the only thing that might cause me trouble one day is I don't carry a patch retriever in my shooting bag, but it is in my main bag in the pickup. I've never had to use one ever so far. You can eliminate the powder measure, short starter, tin of lubed patches, ball bag, and the powder flask if you choose to carry some of the TC 4-in1 quick loads that are already prepped. Just depends on what a person's preferences are.

You mean a man purse aka murse? LOL

Sorry i cant help myself sometimes. :lol:

This one is stylish yet durable and functional
XINCADA-Crossbody-Bag-Sling-Bag-Small-Messenger-Bag-Man-Purse-Shoulder-Travel-Chest-Pack-for-Men.jpg

We have hunter orange requirements here so I ended up finding a vest made by primos that had pockets like crazy. No man purse for me but I do have a backpack I carry extra gear in.
b3f7bcfd396a410a3691e7cb7b3e6dcc.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The Hidden Woodsmen makes a nice blaze orange bag, but it is definitely in a higher price range.
e27e6a8acc6407b3c6250d22476152de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Men Don’t Carry Purses [emoji162]! (Unless they’re “thrifty“ & recycle [emoji3534] old leather purses [emoji162] into “Possibles Bags!”)
**disclaimer**
Any leather “bag” filled with most meaningful manly muzzleloading materials must make more musings making more smoke [emoji100]!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a pair of Mosin Nagant ammo pouches.
Cheap but VERY good.
They have 2 compartments. In one half, I put my rammer tools. Patches and a Hugo SKS oil bottle filled with rubbing alcohol are in the other half.
The other set holds powder tubes(5) in one side,and bullets/ sabotsin tje other
The lids are leather, close securely and keep the damp out pretty well. They're also quite durable. Been using these 2 sets for 15 years. Still going strong.

I have 10 pockets in my hunting coat, so no need for a bag. If it were for more than a day I would surely be packing more stuff.

Check out Sportsmans Warehouse, they sell a small fanny pack with 3 zippered pockets and a shoulder
strap,a great "possibles" bag. I think it is about $15.

Since I am required to wear Blazed orange I just use a Game vest that has large pockets on both sides.

In that style I have a 4 tube and a 6 tube but agreed the 4 is the ticket for how I hunt.

Back