powder and pellets question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viking421a

Reaction score
Does two 50 grain 777 pellets have the same strength as 100 grains of loose 777? Will either shoot the same with a given bullet?

No - there is a difference between the 777 pellets and loose 777. The 777 pellets were formulated to be the power equivalent of the Pyro pellets, but loose 777 is about 15% more powerful than Pyrodex - power or pellets.
This would mean that a 100gr 777 or Pyro pellet load is the rough equivalent to 85gr of loose 777 powder.

You will see a significant difference in point of impact (and probably accuracy) if you were to shoot a specific bullet with both a 100gr 777 pellet load and then a 100gr loose 777 load. There would probably be about a 200fps difference in muzzle velocity between the 2 loads, depending on the rifle.

Ok so when you shoot 100 gr of pellets its equivelant to 85 gr of loose 777.........got it. This stuff is interesting, thanks for your help :!:

im going to try some different things this year, first im going to try the 245 spitfires on loose 777, my question is what would be a good starting point ( by volume) with the 777, right now i use 2- 50gr.777 pellets with the 240 xtp's.....thanks.....

deldeerhunter said:
what would be a good starting point ( by volume) with the 777
Most agree if using Triple Se7en loose that 100 grs. by volume is a pretty good starting point for a hunting load in a modern inline ML.

Most agree if using Triple Se7en loose that 100 grs. by volume is a pretty good starting point for a hunting load in a modern inline ML.

That's exactly where I'd start.

Nic_58 said:
deldeerhunter said:
what would be a good starting point ( by volume) with the 777

For a saboted bullet in a rifle, that is my starting point.

Latest posts

Back