powder burning rates

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HunterJim

Reaction score
I took a look in my Rifle/Handloader sources for a current (May '06) compilation of reloading powder relative burning rates. They number the powders on their list, but they are sequence numbers, and not burning rate numbers. The smaller the sequence number, the faster burning the powder (I included powders of all types). jim

68 Vih N110
69 H Lil Gun
70 Norma R123
71 H H110
72 Win 296
73 ADI AR2205
74 IMR SR 4759
75 Vih N120
76 IMR 4227
77 H H4227
78 Acc 5744XMR

Some other powders:

86 H H4198
87 Vih V133
88 IMR 4198

94 IMR 3031
95 H Benchmark
96 ADI BM2

100 H H322

117 H Varget

HunterJim said:
I took a look in my Rifle/Handloader sources for a current (May '06) compilation of reloading powder relative burning rates. They number the powders on their list, but they are sequence numbers, and not burning rate numbers. The smaller the sequence number, the faster burning the powder (I included powders of all types). jim

Jim I like the idea of you understanding that the burn rate of a powder should give one an idea of what potential that powder has at a given load level and bullet speed.

At first looks these charts make it seem dozens of powders will shoot to about the same level but you have to throw out the ball powders (go through the vent) and 4227s (bad ignition) and others based not on the speed but other annoying problems of a muzzle loader.

Another thing people won't tell you is a burn rate chart is a lot like bullet BC every one is different and no one can tell you why they are so far apart.

A few glaring horrible errors on your chart show N133 as fast a powder as Imr-4198. Anyone who has ever shot those powders in the same case would get a belly laugh out of that.

Another seemingly impossible to understand listing has H322 as slower burning than either 3031 or Benchmark. All I can say is "let the buyer beware".

RB,

Yeah, I have burned many pounds of H322 in my 6X47 BR rifle!

I put down the source for the data, but I don't know how they stitched together the various data sources that they have to compile the list they present (see loaddata.com).

jim

Posted powder burn rates are nothing more than a best guess. When one considers that H322 is used in everything from a .222 Rem to a .458 Win Mag, it's little reason that a powder burn rate can't be more precise. That's when you're talking CF cartridge guns. When you throw a muzzleloader into the mix...well it mixes things up. Most of my centerfire shooting is done with N-133, H322, AA-2015, and W748....and that's the exact order of VELOCITY. N-133 giving more VELOCITY than an equal charge of W748 with the same bullet. Most would say that is directly related to the burn rate. There IS more to it than that. Looking at my Hornady burn rate chart...I almost laugh out loud:

48. N-110
52. SR-4759
53. VIHT N-120
54. AA 5744

If one only looked at burn-rate charts...they would think it was within reasonable parameters that #52, #53, and #54 could be used in a practically interchangeable fashion...and if nothing else, one could use the same powder charge of 5744 as N-120!

Yeah, I have burned many pounds of H322 in my 6X47 BR rifle!

I've never owned a 6X47 but I have always wanted either a 6X47 or 6X45. I use a lot of H322 also(I buy 8lb jugs)...probably my favorite powder in this burn rate class. I use it mostly in 6PPC and 6BR but it does pretty good in .223 Rem too!

Latest posts

Back