Powder question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im thinking that would work fine but my understanding is bh209 needs a confined chamber to get a good burn. If your using a #11 your not in a confined chamber. Give it a try and let me know.

Im using a Remington 700 with a locking bolt breech. It has a perc nipple but i wanna use bh209

Im thinking that would work fine but my understanding is bh209 needs a confined chamber to get a good burn. If your using a #11 your not in a confined chamber. Give it a try and let me know.
What do you mean confined chamber? Like il put in 30 of 777 then 100 of bh209 then seat my projectile hard.do you think thatll work?

I was curious so I did a quick search. From what I read, you would need to covert your Remington to the 209 breech plug system to use BH209.
I guess you could try a duplex load, T7 under the BH209. It might work?

Its been said so many times that BH 209 is for use only in closed breech muzzleloaders using 209 primers.
Cayuga, r.i.p Dave, told of having a chunk of 209 primer removed from his forehead because he tried BH 209 in a striker fired ( open breech) TC Black Diamond.
BH209 has a longer pressure curve than other powders which can allow it to overcome the inertia of the striker and its spring tension in open breech muzzleloader. This can cause ejection of the primer.
If you wish to use BH209 in your 700ML, convert it to 209 and have fun.

Which model Remmy 700 are you calling a a locking bolt rifle, with a percussion nipple?
The Rem 700 Ultimate is a locking bolt rifle, but I didn't think it came set up for percussion.
The original 700 ML wasn't a locking bolt. It and the Ruger 77/50 can have issues when you burn BH209 without modifying their striker fired design.
Of course, you may have a custom Remmy 700 built on a short, or long, action. I have one, smokeless rated, but I used modules to spark it off, not percussion caps.

Last edited:
I'd suggest the safest and established way is to use a hunter 209 sealed breach system for any Remington 700ml (I sell them). Most especially if shooting bh209. It even says so on the bh209 web site.
Im the guy that tried th savage 10 ml 2 prototype.cool. We meet again! so if i buy your kit,does it include the tools to take out my remmys original breech plug?

Roger that.
You should check out the info on the Badger Ridge website about that action, and what BH209 can cause to happen.
Not trying to be argumentative or a know it all but that rifle isn't a locking bolt, unlike conventional Remington 700's.
I have 2 of them, one 45, one 50. And I have a stripped action for one I've been debating on what to build with it.
Don't be fooled by anyone telling you it's the same action as a short action 700. The bolt doesn't have the locking lugs a conventional rifle does.

Im the guy that tried th savage 10 ml 2 prototype.cool. We meet again! so if i buy your kit,does it include the tools to take out my remmys original breech plug?

Glad you called yesterday.... but to wrap this thread up for posterity:

The Remington 700 ML breech plug will come out (after removing the bolt) with a 7/16 socket on an extension (just like you'd use for a car or any hex head bolt/nut). A deep well works better to get past any nipples... 11mm is close enough that it will work too.

Last edited:
The older remington 700 but its a muzzleloader,ss metal,black stock.percussion inline.
14118-37942bf517ec9b66b51035a9de490efa.jpg

Our kit is designed for that rifle. Will allow the rifle to shoot any muzzle loader safe propellant by sealing up the blow back into the breach plug and using 209 primers. Always read and follow the firearm and powder manufacture's instructions... which will tell you not mix powders of differing types... with our 209 conversion system there is no need to do anything more than follow the instructions: it works well with any muzzle loader safe powder!

Last edited:
Our kit is designed for that rifle. Will allow the rifle to shoot any muzzle loader safe propellant by sealing up the blow back into the breach plug and using 209 primers. Always read and follow the firearm and powder manufacture's instructions... which will tell you not mix powders of differing types... with our 209 conversion system there is no need to do anything more than follow the instructions: it works well with any muzzle loader safe powder!
Im saving thr money!

Latest posts

Back