Powder scales are worth every penny…and more!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a quick tidbit.
I switched to BH209 this past deer season.
I held off because it’s a bit pricey, but decided to pull the trigger( pun intended).

I loaded and shot my CVA Optima with 777 pellets and the same 245 Powerbelt to have a known safe backup plan.
I then started testing the BH209 in My Optima 2.
I am using Heavier Barnes bullets and measuring by weight. My results were pretty impressive.
This past Saturday I weighed 15 loads with my new ( $35) powder scale someone here suggested, and put them in BH tubes.
I cut my group size in half by weighing the powder instead of measuring it!
I had a couple of flyers but that’s common.
If I can shoot 11/2-2” groups at 100, that is all I’ll ever need!
In the Appalachian foothills 90% of hunting shots are within 60-75 yards and a 150 yard shot is almost unheard of.
I could probably test other bullets and maybe get tighter, but I’ll never need it.

I can’t remember who threw me the suggestion about the scale, but whoever it was thanks!

Just a quick tidbit.
I switched to BH209 this past deer season.
I held off because it’s a bit pricey, but decided to pull the trigger( pun intended).

I loaded and shot my CVA Optima with 777 pellets and the same 245 Powerbelt to have a known safe backup plan.
I then started testing the BH209 in My Optima 2.
I am using Heavier Barnes bullets and measuring by weight. My results were pretty impressive.
This past Saturday I weighed 15 loads with my new ( $35) powder scale someone here suggested, and put them in BH tubes.
I cut my group size in half by weighing the powder instead of measuring it!
I had a couple of flyers but that’s common.
If I can shoot 11/2-2” groups at 100, that is all I’ll ever need!
In the Appalachian foothills 90% of hunting shots are within 60-75 yards and a 150 yard shot is almost unheard of.
I could probably test other bullets and maybe get tighter, but I’ll never need it.

I can’t remember who threw me the suggestion about the scale, but whoever it was thanks!
"loaded and shot my CVA Optima with 777 pellets and the same 245 Powerbelt to have a known safe backup plan." Newbie here, tell me more about doing this, why? Tia

I started weighing my charges also no matter what powder I shoot. Even if I'm load developing. I'll weigh charges in groups of 10 in 5 grain increments. (i.e.: 70, 75, 80 etc) Once I find the right load, whatever's left goes back into the canister to get reweighed to that charge weight.
Keep in mind however that all propellants have a lot to lot variation in density and your weighed charges from lot to lot may not be the same density and will show up as a different volume.

Last edited:
Jim G,
The OP hasn't been on here for a few months but what I read is he set up his Optima using the powerbelts so he had a known good backup/sighted in gun for use should he need it. Then it appears to me he loaded up his Optima V2 with BH209 to start working up a load. Just my guess though.
John

The electric powered scales can drift over time. But the battery powered ones can drift even more due to the changing voltage of the battery when in use. If possible use a mechanical scale to double check the weights often. Having a small set of calibrated weights is good for checking too.

I spent 25 years in a materials testing facility. I AlWAYS have a set of weights that I can verify if my scale is accurate.

Making your own weights- use a calibrated/ certified scale and weigh various metal objects ( I suggest brass or Stainless steel nuts). For fine weights, pieces of copper or ss wire. Record weights for each piece and store in a plastic box with compartments. You will be able to verify any scale with these known weights.

Back