powder weight or volume

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyo

Reaction score
I just started to test volume loads for avg. weight, then will load the avg weight , and run them thru the chrono graph . trying to ge better groups at 100 yds. any one trying this.

I weigh ALL loads after determining the volume load that groups best. Any better, maybe? It does give me confidence.

Last edited:
I only use Goex 2 f and 3 f in all my rifles. I once sat and weighed volume loads. I used 80 grains by volume to weigh. Some were spot on by weight while others were as much as 5 grains up and down by weight. I did find that 3f varied less and was closer to the volume weight when weighed. I tried a number of methods such as tapping the can while filling the measure and taping the measure while filling it. I still got heavy and light loads using any method. My personal conclusion was using the volume measure was not consistent while the weighed loads are spot on. I also am aware that according to manufacturers information I am not supposed to weigh my loads, horsepucky I feel more confidence with weighed loads. I do not know if I get better results but it sure feeds my confidence and hey we all need that.

Last year I dropped charge of 100 grains by vol of BH 209. Wiegh it and then trickled up to 70 grains. Dropped charges varied by 3.0 grains

Back