Powders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While i REALLY dont like PBs, the AeroLite should be "ok" with the lower recoil Pyro loads. Might even try the cheaper PB hollow points too.

Don't worry at all about using Pyrodex. It works just fine. Yes, it's a little slower, and a little dirtier, and a little more corrosive than some other options. But so what? All black powers and substitutes are corrosive. Since you have to clean your rifle after fouling it anyway, who cares if you can't let it sit dirty for days, or have to spend a few extra minutes cleaning. It still cleans up just fine, and is accurate enough, and kills deer just fine. Plus it costs a good bit less than most, and is way easier to find locally (usually). I actually prefer it over Goex or 777. I shoot BH209 in most of my guns now, but used Pyrodex for years, and still shoot Pyrodex P in my Gonic (nippled breech with no 209 conversion). I don't mind it at all. I just bought another container of it yesterday.

Do an internet search on boning out your deer. I read a book years ago that talked about that, and I've been doing it ever since. It takes more time in the field, but is much less mess, and you are only carrying out 1/2 as much weight. The meat cools down faster. You can take as many trips as you need. Even in southern NM in mid October when my buddy and got 2 bull elk down (5 miles from camp) we left the meat in the shade in plastic bags, and it got down to about 40 degrees at night. In the shade, it stayed cool until the next afternoon when we got the last load out. I'm impressed that you're still getting out there. I hope to be doing the same at your age. I've had melanoma, so I tell all of the young hunters to use wide brim hats and sunscreen.

Do an internet search on boning out your deer. I read a book years ago that talked about that, and I've been doing it ever since. It takes more time in the field, but is much less mess, and you are only carrying out 1/2 as much weight. The meat cools down faster. You can take as many trips as you need. Even in southern NM in mid October when my buddy and got 2 bull elk down (5 miles from camp) we left the meat in the shade in plastic bags, and it got down to about 40 degrees at night. In the shade, it stayed cool until the next afternoon when we got the last load out. I'm impressed that you're still getting out there. I hope to be doing the same at your age. I've had melanoma, so I tell all of the young hunters to use wide brim hats and sunscreen.
Surprised you talk about stashing meatin plastic bags ,there is a reason game bags are breathable./Ed

Hi Muley, you didn’t specify the caliber but a .45 i find has i milder recoil but I’m happy that your not giving up hunting . If you take a wooden stock you could maybe modify the cheek Good luck

I started to bone out elk when I was about 60. Carrying out an elk quarter became too much. I haven't done it with deer but it's not a bad idea. I was also thinking about buying one of those plastic sleds that roll up when not used. I could stick it in my backpack and always have it with me. I'm not sure if dragging out the deer instead of putting it on my back. I think most hunters put the whole deer on the sled and drag it out. That's probably harder but if I just put in the sled what I would have put on my back. It should pull pretty easy.

Hi Muley, you didn’t specify the caliber but a .45 i find has i milder recoil but I’m happy that your not giving up hunting . If you take a wooden stock you could maybe modify the cheek Good luck

No, I bought a .50. Probably because it has a better bullet selection. I think i'll be ok with Pyro as a powder.

Don't worry at all about using Pyrodex. It works just fine. Yes, it's a little slower, and a little dirtier, and a little more corrosive than some other options. But so what? All black powers and substitutes are corrosive. Since you have to clean your rifle after fouling it anyway, who cares if you can't let it sit dirty for days, or have to spend a few extra minutes cleaning. It still cleans up just fine, and is accurate enough, and kills deer just fine. Plus it costs a good bit less than most, and is way easier to find locally (usually). I actually prefer it over Goex or 777. I shoot BH209 in most of my guns now, but used Pyrodex for years, and still shoot Pyrodex P in my Gonic (nippled breech with no 209 conversion). I don't mind it at all. I just bought another container of it yesterday.

My thinking exactly. It's not like i'll need a fast 2nd shot. I'm really careful about the shots I take. I don't feel bad about passing up a shot at a good animal. Bear hunting was different. I always wanted to be able to take a fast 2nd shot if I needed it. With deer I can take my time and swab between shots.

Are you able to use an inline pistol there?

Wouldnt 70 grains of bh209/777 be better? BP is the only gun i wanted to be heavier after shooting a knight lk93 and my sons impact. Those 6 and 5.75 pounders are brutal with 100 grains imo. I couldnt tell a difference with rs or 777 in those. Finally picked up a knight disc thats waiting to get dirty.

BH is a progressive burning powder you can by reducing the load match the recoil of slower powders. I suggest trying 75 grains volume for 100 yards or less.

I did the 70gr of BH. It still has a sharp recoil. You can't imagine how sensitive my cheek is. Don't assume i'm going to use 100gr of Pyro. I've been using 70gr of Goex 2F and a PRB and it kills fine. All the load needs to do is put a hole through both lungs. More power than that is wasted. Powerbelts are shot with too much powder. They expand too fast and don't penetrate. Slow them down and they work fine. Get close and take only double lung shots. Then get out the skinning knife. :)

Dad taught me and my brother how to get close without being in a stand. He wouldn't let us take long shots. A long shot was anything over 50 yds. It works but it took a lot work to get good at it. I enjoyed it so much I never changed from hunting that way.

I may be making a mistake. I bought an inline and will put a scope on it. Right away I doubled my distance to 100 yds. Who knows how much farther i'll take a shot. Do I really need a scope if I stay with my normal 50yd max distance? Probably not. The sights will be fuzzy and the deer will be a little fuzzy but I can still hit where i'm looking. I wanted to try longer shots and it's the main reason for going to an inline. I started hunting in the late 40's. I started muzzleloader hunting in 1980. I've never hunted with anything but a sidelock with a PRB. I've owned a pile of inlines but always got rid of them before hunting season started. I'm getting pretty old to be changing my ways. It's hard to do and i'm not good at it. I think I made a mistake by going with an inline. Recoil is a non-issue with an 8lb sidelock, PRB and 70gr of Goex. It will also force me to shoot close which is natural for me.

The Optima shows up Monday. I can get out of it and send it back to Muzzle-Loaders for a refund. Once i use it i'll lose a bunch of money selling it. I need to make a decision now. I know i'm a pain in the ass. This is hard for me and I shouldn't drag you guys into it. Sorry.

I always wondered what the recoil was in muzzleloaders. No wonder the 70gr of Goex felt so good. I hunted with a Win 94 in 30-30 before muzzleloaders and thought it had a light recoil. Look at the PRB recoil! Cripes!

GunGun WeightBullet WeightPowder WeightMuzzle VelocityRecoil EnergyCost Per Hundred Shots
.50 Roundball7 lbs177gr701600 fps8 ft-lb$30
Winchester .2437 lbs100gr46.53000 fps12 ft-lb$75
Winchester 30-305.5 lbs150gr38.52350 fps16 ft-lb$65
.50 Sabot7 lbs240gr1202000 fps23 ft-lb$60
.50 Miniball7 lbs385grs1201650 fps35 ft-lb$60
300 Winchester Magnum7 lbs180gr773000 fps37 ft-lb$115
12 ga, 7 lb7 lbs440gr361355 fps37 ft-lb$60
12 ga, 4.5 lb
single shot
4.5 lbs440gr361355 fps57 ft-lb$60

Latest posts

Back