Powders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about a peep on a sidelock?
I use one on mine with a fiber optic front site...and can actually see my front sight just fine. With dovetail open sights, I am blurry as heck

You know you're gonna return it or end up selling it, might as well make your mind up now and save the $. Sidelock - load up 70-80gr PRB and rock and roll! :lewis:

I know. That's why i'm trying to decide now. I'll need a sidelock to buy if I go that way. I don't have any guns now.

Not what you ask so forgive the suggestion if it offends you. Years ago when having dental problems friend suggested a padded cheek rest. He used one to deal with similar problem. It laced on where cheek made contact. It does add height, I used higher scope rings. Made a huge difference in felt recoil on my cheek and face.

Not offended at all. If I have room and the sights will line up I use a soft pad on the comb. It helps a lot. I never needed it on a sidelock and PRB. I don't think i'd need it with the Optima if I keep the recoil soft. I can do that by hunting close and using a light powder charge.

I'm thinking about my options and what will be best for me. I want to stick with what I decide, so i'm not rushing my decision.

Not offended at all. If I have room and the sights will line up I use a soft pad on the comb. It helps a lot. I never needed it on a sidelock and PRB. I don't think i'd need it with the Optima if I keep the recoil soft. I can do that by hunting close and using a light powder charge.

I'm thinking about my options and what will be best for me. I want to stick with what I decide, so i'm not rushing my decision.
Powder is only part of your problem (and mine) when dealing with re coil less lead =less recoil why the round ball works so well ,more lead gets your attention ! I think it is the bigger cause ,at least in my guns/Ed

Yes, I know. That's why I like a PRB. Even when I used a .54 PRB for elk it would still be light compared to a conical. Plus, the sidelocks are heavier. Heavier gun, lighter bullet/ball, and lighter powder load. All make for a nice load to shoot. It works well when you get close.

Long shots = recoil.

A .50 Cal, 180-185 Grain .490-.495 PRB is downright Fun to shoot from a Sidelock, I enjoy the heck out of mine :lewis: Mine is a HEAVY Rifle, 1” across the Flats, 32” inch Long Green Mountain Barrel in a Renegade Stock with Lace up Recoil Pad that has a Gel insert in it. I could EASILY shoot this Rifle 1 handed from my Bench, And the Ball is FLAT OUT Traveling with 80-90 Grains of Swiss 2F, Deer wouldn’t know what hit em

Surprised you talk about stashing meatin plastic bags ,there is a reason game bags are breathable./Ed

What is the reason for a game bag? In our warm dry climate, leaving meat in a game bag makes jerky out of the outer 1/2" of meat. Then you have to soak the dried, bloody, bag off of the meat.

The game bag will keep the meat cooler. It's better to have a little crust than spoiling. I'll use plastic bags if I leave the meat in a creek to keep it cool. No other time.

Back