Powerbelt for elk?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave C

Reaction score
In what seems like my never-ending quest for finding a decent lead conical or non-saboted bullet for my deer/elk hunt in ID, the only bullet that I have found thus far which gives me what I consider acceptable grouping is the 348g Powerbelt with 90g T7. While I would prefer to use a bullet with a better terminal performance, I also have to use one that is reasonably accurate or it doesn't do me any good to be slinging lead downrange with no idea where it's going. My concern with this bullet, because of the hollow point, is its performance on an elk. I'm worried that I won't get enough penetration before it expands and while it might deliver some energy, it might not reach enough of the vitals for a clean kill. Anybody have any experience with these bullets? What do you think would be an acceptable range to use one on an elk?

Here we go again. All the PowerBelt haters coming forth with their horror stories of bullets exploding off shoulder blades, and no blood trails. Are there better bullets ... sure there are. Have you heard of Thor Conicals? They are an all copper design if that is legal. If not, there are others called No Excuses that are all lead. If you want to stick to a powerbelt all I can suggest is go as heavy as you can get accurate. I don't know what is legal to hunt with where you're heading.

Consider these instead but availability is spotty atm. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/353898 ... pack-of-15

IMG_0725.JPG

Its a shame PB does not make a 375gr or larger Platinum series. Penetration could be greatly improved even with a slight increase in hardness.

DaveC's problem is that he wants to hunt in Idaho and during ML season here you must use a full bore lead conical. The Thor even the Federal, by Idaho standards would probably not be legal. The only reason the Power Belt is - it was or is made in in Caldwell, ID.

The Federal 350gr is a full bore lead conical. Its skirt is just a bit different than a PB. :p

If you want to use a powerbelt, I would go with the heaviest one you can get to shoot well in your rifle.

Sabotloader is correct. We have to use a lead conical. No platinum, copper, or jacketed bullets. Those Federal's look intriguing but they're out of stock and I need something now. Not sure if they'd be legal in ID or not. I suspect you could make a case for them as they look pretty similar to Powerbelts in design. The 348g PB is the biggest I've been able to find. The 405's are Out of Stock. Getting back to the original question, do you think this bullet would penetrate enough to kill an elk?

Yes, the 348 will work on elk. And it is definitely a better bullet with 90 gr than 110 gr of powder (if you push them too fast they blow up). So at 100 yards the bullet probably works better than at 25. Should be OK out to 150.

That said, when I did use powerbelts, I used the 405s. CVA shows them in stock.

http://www.powerbeltbullets.com/Store-View.php?id=272

What rifle are you using. If a T/C with a QLA, powerbelts are probably the only legal conical bullet that will shoot well

sabotloader said:
GM54-120 said:
The Federal 350gr is a full bore lead conical. Its skirt is just a bit different than a PB. :p

But it stays on the bullet - big difference
Do you know what ID F&G's position is on these?

Dave C said:
sabotloader said:
GM54-120 said:

But it stays on the bullet - big difference
Do you know what ID F&G's position is on these?

Honestly - I do not know for sure. I have not called the Lewiston office to ask since I know I would not use them. I am not sure the office would even know what this bullet is at this point.

You could call the Clearwater Regional office and ask the receptionist about the bullet - she has a list of OK projectiles or talk to the LEO in the office - might send him a picture of the bullet and see if he can render a decision - but he will probably have to call Boise if he has not already no the answer.

Regional Office
3316 16th St.
Lewiston, ID 83501
(208) 799-5010
Fax: (208) 799-5012

I just called the office - they do not have it on the list of approved bullets - but they also have not seen the bullet. Mark Carlson is the new LEO and will call me as soon as he gets in the office.

txhunter58 said:
Yes, the 348 will work on elk. And it is definitely a better bullet with 90 gr than 110 gr of powder (if you push them too fast they blow up). So at 100 yards the bullet probably works better than at 25. Should be OK out to 150.

What rifle are you using. If a T/C with a QLA, powerbelts are probably the only legal conical bullet that will shoot well

:think: :think: So if I would have an ELK come in at 40 yds. I should spook him and let him get further out before I shoot him??? :poke: NO there better off in the fishing department. :yeah: At lease if you get the POWERBELT Sinker hung up on a rock you won't lose your lure. :applause: :applause:

OK, just got off the phone with the Lewiston F&G. They have not seen this bullet before and at this time can not offer a definitive decision on the bullet. His feeling is that the bullet (Federal Trophy Lead) will not qualify for Idaho but he is passing the information onto Boise for a final decision.

sqezer said:
txhunter58 said:

:think: :think: So if I would have an ELK come in at 40 yds. I should spook him and let him get further out before I shoot him??? :poke: NO there better off in the fishing department. :yeah: At lease if you get the POWERBELT Sinker hung up on a rock you won't lose your lure. :applause: :applause:

That is why I don't use Powerbelts any more. However, many elk have died to them, so if that is all that will shoot well in his rifle, and he only uses 90 gr of powder, he is probably fine. Most people want to use 100 gr or more and those are the ones who get into trouble.

That said, since he is using a knight, it surprises me that he can't get other bullets to shoot well. Have you tried No Excuses 460 gr bullets? I have had luck with my knight with the 460 gr bullets with around 90 gr of powder and a wad underneath. Or Hornady Great Plains 385 gr bullets are good elk medicine as well.

Latest posts

Back