Powerbelts out of a Lyman 1:48 twist .54 cal.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My dad is shooting a Lyman Great Plains Rifle that has had the barrel replaced. So it's no longer a 1:66 twist its now a 1:48. He has been trying to shoot the 348 gr. hollow point Powerbelts but they seem to be tumbling. We have tried everything from 80 gr. to 110 gr. to T7 ffg. Why won't these stablize?

My dad bought the gun new as a kit. When the barrel that came with the gun quit shooting well he sent away to Lyman in Italy for a new barrel.The barrel they sent is a 1:48 we think, it's faster than 1:60 we know that for sure. I'm beginning to doubt the 1:48 because his gun is a double lug barrel and all of Lymans 1:48 barrels are one lug. How do you tell?

I have shot my 1-48 twist Lyman Trade Rifle with 405 grain powerbelts. With 80 grains of powder, I was floored with the accuracy I got from this rifle. I always figured 80 grains and that large of a concial would be bad medicine.

I have no idea why they would tumble out of your rifle.

its most likely a slow twist barrel. Got some patches and round balls to try out?!?!! A 54cal round ball shooter is a very deadly weapon.

Put a patch on your cleaning rod. Push it all the way to the bottom of the barrel. Place a longitudinal mark on your rod, even with the front sight blade for reference. Pull the rod slow out, so that it twists with the riflings. When the rod has made one full revolution. measure the amount of rod that has come out of the barrel. You will have to do some figureing, but a 1 in 48" barrel with twist the rod one complete revolution in 48". The barrel is not 48" long, so you will have to work on halves. pull the rod out 24" and see if the rod have made an exact 180 degree twist. If it has, it is a 1 in 48" twist. Hope this was not too confusing.

Back