PP bullet finning on the Base

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSalyards

Reaction score
I am having a problem with a PP bullet finning on the base. I played with the sprue plate a little but no luck. Any suggestions?

I see now , sounds like mold is to hot or it doesn't close all the way

I could lower the temp. It's not on the sides but around the sharp part of the flat base. It would have nothing to do with the mold closing .

Mike, Are you Ladle, or Bottom Pour Pot Casting? Are you compression Casting these?

These were ladle cast. Beautiful bullets except the damn finning. Not the whole edge but not necessarily on the seam. Not on the seam at all now that I think about it. And now I just found out that my Wagge pot just took a crap! :mad:

I stil suspect you are Compression Casting even with the Ladle? Like this
NZn0ZUjl.jpg

Many of my Molds REQUIRE Compression to get Optimum Fillout, But Some molds on the other hand DON’T do well at all with Compression, They Will Fin Just as you Describe. Bullet Molds, like people, have their own “Personalities“ :) Likes/Dislikes

My advice is to simply get the Ladle Spout and Sprue Plate Hole REALLY Close and Pour the Mold Full, DON’T Marry them up Like the Photo above. When you Fill the Mold Allow a LARGE Sprue Puddle to Form on the Plate, as Large as you can Get across the Entire Sprue Plate.

Ya this is a new mold from Steve Brooks and like you say, every one has a secret hand shake. I just never had one fin around the base of the bullet like that. Now I gotta figure how to get my pot empty cause its full and looks like the heating element quit. Oh well, off to the gun show. Good thing I have a couple more pots! Thanks Lew!

Mike

What Lewis said,
You might also check if you see even daylight between the sprue plate and top of the blocks? I would lap both surfaces on a piece of 220 sandpaper coated with oil or WD40.
Maybe install a spring washer (it may already have one) between the top of the sprue and bottom of the hinge bolt head.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back