Prairie Dogging

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was out west two weeks ago, scouting but also doing some shooting. I had my custom 22-250 along, the son another 22-250. I’m going back for my ‘real’ varmint trip in just over a week. I even ‘lifted’ the front of my 2017 Silverado 2” getting ready for the trip.

The next one includes the other son & two of his friends. That’s part of the reason for the 1st trip, I’ll be more of a guide next time, less shooting. Ammo is all loaded, just some final range time then we’ll be ready.

OBTW, if you haven’t tried it, that On X Hunt app is GREAT. It shows land ownership & even historical prairie dog locations. I think the discount code GROUSE is still good for 20% off.

I have an On X Map Chip in my Garmin Oregon 650T GPS, What an AWESOME Setup, But also a HUGE BUMMER in my opinion. Hunting Ground that took YEARS To Find/figure out, Can now easily be found by Anyone that has a GPS and On X Map, Places here you NEVER EVER Seen anyone, Now you see LOTS of People, Many Out of Staters, They would NEVER have Known Many of these Places, But On X Led them Right to it. So yea On X is Definitely Cool, But i wish i was the ONLY Guy that Owned it :D

Yeah i still have a bunch of old maps and county map books with my secret hotspots marked in them. Ive since transferred them to my On X app. Fortunately my local hunting competition are too lazy to get far off the beaten path so there are still some good public lands to hunt.

Just back from another dogging trip out west, even the doggies cooperated. The two new shooters did great. I shot, but not as much as normal. A good time was had by all, just over 2 days of shooting. I had two bolt 223’s, so my ammo supply had some left for the return. Backup was a 204 Ruger and a high-end AK in 223.

I don’t mention next year right away, they did though. The picture with the son is a year ago.

Attachments

• FD8F1CFA-F84E-47CA-8759-D46DA85D4B06.jpeg
    FD8F1CFA-F84E-47CA-8759-D46DA85D4B06.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 10
  • D25AE129-8EFE-4AAA-9F07-5B98BE568A6B.jpeg
    D25AE129-8EFE-4AAA-9F07-5B98BE568A6B.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 10
Fortunately my local hunting competition are too lazy to get far off the beaten path so there are still some good public lands to hunt.
Ive always hunted under the premise most hunters are afraid of the dark and or are afraid of getting lost. Meaning they will not navigate a deep dark woods to get to the "hot spot" in the early morning and will leave early in the evening to make it back to the road or camp before dark. In our group its spoken right up front if you get lost find your own way out because I came to hunt not look for your ---. Be prepared. I don't believe in GPS because batteries and electronics can fail. I have 2 compasses, 1 on my wrist for general navigation and 1 under my coat in the event I lose the other one. Also good to confirm the other one is right when you feel like doubting your wrist compass. And you will. I always carry supplies to stay overnight.

Latest posts

Back