Preacher and Mose

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underclocked

Reaction score
I'm sure some few of you will remember the guy known as Preacher on the old CVA forum. And John Moseley... the fellow that made some beautiful bullets.

Preacher was a competitive shooter and shot outstanding groups routinely. He was free with advice on the old CVA forum and I learned many things from him. You members here have the advantage of getting advice from veteran shooters that know and will share lots of valuable information. But the information was not always so freely given and generally not accurate at that time. Learning the ropes before the internet involved reading a few books that I was completely unaware of for years. :)

The main point that Preacher made in my mind was to EXACTLY duplicate everything you have about your components and your loading procedure. He also told us about drop tubes and many other bits of worthy info. I always read his posts!

Some years later, after I became hooked on White rifles and was a member at the DWBs website, a fellow by the name of John Moseley joined the group John had an idea about casting muzzleloader bullets that I had not seen before. His production was beautiful and I wanted to give them a try. John sent me some samples to try as I owned a .451 White Model 98 and he had no rifle to shoot the .451 bullets he had made. His idea was to anneal copper gas checks and use a bit of tin in the mix. As far as I know, these are the first of his .451 bullets to be fired from any muzzleloader and I had the honor.

Others have since learned his methods and roll their own (Tom Lodge for one) but I have yet to see any as beautiful as those he made. Of course I had to have more. :D I sold that .451 to a fellow that still has it so far as I know. He told me it looked brand new when he received it but he could never get it to shoot as well as I had. I sold my last .451, a rifle that I called a White BabyMag, to Ed Mehlig. I may still have some of those Mose bullets, as well as a bunch of others.

full

Ultra Mag .504 on top, Baby Mag in .451 on bottom.

Rich, my oldest grandson claimed that rifle as soon as he seen it. It’s the most accurate M97 that I own. My M98 with the Super Safari stock is a little more accurate but I’m splitting hairs.

Ahh John Mosley a name from the past. He gave me some of those bullets as well and like yours they Shot Great with my M98.

Latest posts

Back