Predator hunting .

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been 3 years but I am going to give it one more go and see if I have better luck. Last time was a bust . Beautiful country ,lots of cool sights and saw lots of wildlife that I was not able to hunt , But my target species remained out of sight . I plan on taking a couple different guns. Traditional for thick areas or up close and one of my inlines in case I happen to stumble upon a chance of a long shot.
I have 2 predator tags ( bear and wolf ). Going to focus more on one than the other but if I fill either I will be more than content. One advantage is I won't be pressed for time . Getting around in the mountains kinda sucks as I get older but having the free time since I am retired and only work part time sure is an advantage .😁
Pretty much thinking my .54 with heavy lead for the Traditional and fast twist inline with hearty dose of BH and sabotless for inline.
Will let you know how it turns out . Hopefully I can post in the muzzleloading success category 😁
This is DIY spot and stalk hunt. Not heading out til second week in May and will stay til I decide I wanna go home or the season ends . I am sure it will be the former not the latter. Or better yet when I fill a tag .

My sunk bear from a few years ago in Washington state.

Attachments

• IMG_20200816_092413.jpg
    IMG_20200816_092413.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 17
I had no desire to hunt bear until I started seeing more bears than deer. My buddy and I spotted 10 bears on a NM deer hunt a few years back. Depending on size and what the bears are eating, they can be really good eating. People get spooked because if you hand them and skin them, they look disturbingly human. My granddaughter said it was the best meat she'd ever eaten. Cooks well on the grill because it tends to be greasy (juicy). My buddy had good luck using a predator call. Twenty minutes and the bear came walking up the road. I wish we could hunt wolves here. Good luck.

Given a choice between a bear and a wolf, I would have to choose the wolf.

Sadly, where I live, neither live here.

Have a good time and enjoy.

Back