PREFIT BARRELS & IGNITION SYSTEMS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Guyton

Reaction score
So I am new to this SML and been on this forum for a few days reading ppls posts on these accurate muzzle loaders. These prefit barrels; does anyone turn these to shouldered barrels for IMPACT 737R action? Are these different brands: brux, bartlein, preferred, etc any better than the other since you SIZE your shot in a sizing die for the Pittman shot?? Ignition systems!! Who has the best and why... I been to a list of about 12 ppl building these and everyone of them advertise the most accurate muzzle loader in the world.. Since it has a breech plug internal it shouldn't matter what action it comes from or does it?? I will take any advice anyone has to offer...

So I am new to this SML and been on this forum for a few days reading ppls posts on these accurate muzzle loaders. These prefit barrels; does anyone turn these to shouldered barrels for IMPACT 737R action? Are these different brands: brux, bartlein, preferred, etc any better than the other since you SIZE your shot in a sizing die for the Pittman shot?? Ignition systems!! Who has the best and why... I been to a list of about 12 ppl building these and everyone of them advertise the most accurate muzzle loader in the world.. Since it has a breech plug internal it shouldn't matter what action it comes from or does it?? I will take any advice anyone has to offer...
You and i are in the same boat on a sml . Ive asked some and continue to watch , read , listen , and learn . Not to mention Think Carefully about it all . I will be based on a 700ml action . I assume yours will be a TC Impact muzzle loader youd like to use ???
For myself i DONT want a heavy gun . Ive figured it out So Far how to end up at 7 1/2 lb unscoped . Theres much to digest about powders , bullets , twists , calibers , and pressures . Especially pressures vs powder choices . Its not insurmountable either just Very Detailed . Gotta be a thinker .
Bplug design is also very important . I just dont rush to buy Something . I Know this will pay off later . You Definately Want/Need a rear sealing plug with a drill bushing . How long it is , is where it gets interesting . Primers matter too as there is about 100 fps to start with differences . Bp's are a Big Deal !!!
Of course theres calibers too . Im really begining to like a 40 alot . Caliber choice affects Everything !!! Barrel choices have REASONS why their chosen beyond a name or price .
All truly fun if you like to Think !!!
I didnt come right out and answer much . Yet i did . This is a very , very Detailed Subject and for best results Will Require much from YOU to understand BEFOREHAND i believe . FAR TOO MUCH to understand for Quick answers IMO . Blind buyers arent good . I think more study After Purchase will be Required anyway . My 2 cents........

Last edited:
You and i are in the same boat on a sml . Ive asked some and continue to watch , read , listen , and learn . Not to mention Think Carefully about it all . I will be based on a 700ml action . I assume yours will be a TC Impact muzzle loader youd like to use ???
For myself i DONT want a heavy gun . Ive figured it out So Far how to end up at 7 1/2 lb unscoped so far . Theres much to digest about powders , bullets , twists , calibers , and pressures . Especially pressures vs powder choices . Its not insurmountable either just Very Detailed . Gotta be a thinker .
Bplug design is also very important . I just dont rush to buy Something . I Know this will pay off later . You Definately Want/Need a rear sealing plug with a drill bushing . How long it is , is where it gets interesting . Primers matter too as there is about 100 fps to start with differences . Bp's are a Big Deal !!!
Of course theres calibers too . Im really begining to like a 40 alot . Caliber chpice affects Everything !!! Barrel choices have REASONS why their chosen beyond a name or price .
All truly fun if you like to Think !!!
I didnt come right out and answer much . Yet i did . This is a very , very Detailed Subject and for best results Will Require much from YOU to understand BEFOREHAND i believe . FAR TOO MUCH to understand for Quick answers IMO . Blind buyers arent good i think cuz more study After Purchase will be Required anyway . My 2 cents........

yeah its alot of stuff out there for sure. I just didnt want to BUY another complete weapon to shoot this like the Hankins CVA scout V2.. I have an IMPACT 737R precision action (on a bartlein chambered in 6XC). I order prefit shouldered barrels bc they just screw up without any barrel nut. I want to try to use my action, bix n andy trigger, mcmillan stock, but will be using using pittman .45cal bullets. Just didn't know about WHO to use for barrel and ignition system if HANKINS isnt the best out there..

yeah its alot of stuff out there for sure. I just didnt want to BUY another complete weapon to shoot this like the Hankins CVA scout V2.. I have an IMPACT 737R precision action (on a bartlein chambered in 6XC). I order prefit shouldered barrels bc they just screw up without any barrel nut. I want to try to use my action, bix n andy trigger, mcmillan stock, but will be using using pittman .45cal bullets. Just didn't know about WHO to use for barrel and ignition system if HANKINS isnt the best out there..
Seems to me a few different guys have options id prefer together . I cant really say whoose "best" yet .

You have quite the wait if you want to use Hankins or Bestill. Hankins is around a 2yr wait atm. Not sure if Luke at ASG wants to tackle the job of not. I would check with Bestill Creations. His work has been proven in Friendship inline shooting matches many times.

You have quite the wait if you want to use Hankins or Bestill. Hankins is around a 2yr wait atm. Not sure if Luke at ASG wants to tackle the job of not. I would check with Bestill Creations. His work has been proven in Friendship inline shooting matches many times.

even for pre-fit barrels??

Hankins prefits are Remage style with a barrel nut.
Much about a remage depends on what You Want out of a sml .
If you want an all out effort , ie --big heavy bullets at warp speed then id say no . For safety better off with a big fat shank .
Another possibility is a West Texas Ordinance lug for an easy , foolproof switch barreled rig . This is my idea for Me !!! It will have to be machined and fitted first however (barrel shoulders) . I have one for my A--Bolt ,45 Raptor/300 win mag .
Sorry i wasnt familiar with your custom action . Very Nice !!!

Last edited:
Much about a remage depends on what You Want out of a sml .
If you want an all out effort , ie --big heavy bullets at warp speed then id say no . For safety better off with a big fat shank .
Another possibility is a West Texas Ordinance lug for an easy , foolproof switch barreled rig . This is my idea for Me !!! It will have to be machined and fitted first however (barrel shoulders) . I have one for my A--Bolt ,45 Raptor/300 win mag .
Sorry i wasnt familiar with your custom action . Very Nice !!!

i just didnt want to have to send my action to get something drilled for switchlug when i could of bought a curtis vector action that already has that incorporated into it already then have to send that to someone like hankins to have barrel made to fit for headspace. the shouldered barrels are already made for proper headspace without sending action off due to the tight tolerances they have. Doesnt alot of these SML have savage or remage type barrels that shoot 325 grain shot?? I was thinking most are R700 actions..

i just didnt want to have to send my action to get something drilled for switchlug when i could of bought a curtis vector action that already has that incorporated into it already then have to send that to someone like hankins to have barrel made to fit for headspace. the shouldered barrels are already made for proper headspace without sending action off due to the tight tolerances they have. Doesnt alot of these SML have savage or remage type barrels that shoot 325 grain shot?? I was thinking most are R700 actions..
IMO no , thats a big bullet but that also depends how fast you want to push that bullet . Big shanks big pressure . Smaller shanks smaller pressures . Full size rems are what it sounds like youre after .

IMO no , thats a big bullet but that also depends how fast you want to push that bullet . Big shanks big pressure . Smaller shanks smaller pressures . Full size rems are what it sounds like youre after .
Jason there is a forum here called smokeless alternative . Its a bit older stuff but a really good info source . Ive just read this myself recently . Many topics are explored and explained . Your bench rest background will be worth alot in getting it . Check it out .

even for pre-fit barrels??
There are no SAAMI specs for rear of case to shoulder or case to end of barrel like a center fire rifle . These truly are custom hand built affairs . Possibly if you had the measurements from reciever to bolt face someone may do you a shouldered prefit with plug and ignition ??? I dont know....
And to be completely honest i dont think trued up 6 ways from sundown are perhaps as Important as a precision cf . Sure cant hurt though !!! Being made stable for tremendous recoiling forces are very , very important . So is tbe ignition to bplug seal absolute . A chasis might be nice !!!
LR Precision brakes are your new best friend :lewis: too .

Last edited:
I shoot two Arrowhead barrel nut rifles, and one hankins, also one other Wilson barrelnut Arrowhead, I do have one heavier barreled Howa that luke
built for me a shoulder build,, the barrel nut barrels are all Brux 1 and 20 twist, the howa shoulderbuild is an 18 twist Krieger,, the only thing that has been done to these actions at least the remingtons is lapping the lugs, I know that you see the accuracy online of these rifles ,if I'm focused on my shooting all of these rifles shoot as well as any PPC or BR bench rifle that I've ever been behind, I have chosen to shoot the lighter barrel nut barrels and lighter loads,, for me the heavier barreled hot load rigs are for target shooting, just not practical to carry around and deer hunt with,,get a barrelnut barrel from Luke install it on a Remington throw it in a stock get some 300 grain arrow Max bullets from pitman load 59-60 grains of IMR or h4198 and shoot some bullets, you'll be addicted, if I were going to build another gun on a custom action shoulder build I would choose the one in 18 over the one in 20,, I personally think of 1 and 20 or 1 in 18 twist smokeless muzzleloader and some of the 300 to 325 grain bullets that are available is the most accurate bore bullet combination in America today that a lot of shooters have no idea exist, I think I've shot every 6 mil 6.5 22 cal ,, none of them outperformed the 45 Cal smokeless,, and no I'm not talking about thousand yard shooting,, I'm addicted for life

LR Precision?
Did i say it wrong encore??? Wouldnt suprise me !!! Ive looked them up anyhow and am quite impressed with how theyve progressed in their continued advancements of the product . Very dedicated to that . Speaks volumes to me . Everyone just raves about that brake too !!!

Did i say it wrong encore??? Wouldnt suprise me !!! Ive looked them up anyhow and am quite impressed with how theyve progressed in their continued advancements of the product . Very dedicated to that . Speaks volumes to me . Everyone just raves about that brake too !!!

Did you mean LR Customs? https://lrcustomsinc.com/

Levi makes an excellent tactical brake for muzzleloaders. I use the T-Rex CSTM. Lots of UF and RUM owners, along with many SML shooters utilize LR Custom brakes.
He knows what he's doing when making muzzle brakes. I believe he could make a brake for a pencil and it would make writing easier ;)

I shoot two Arrowhead barrel nut rifles, and one hankins, also one other Wilson barrelnut Arrowhead, I do have one heavier barreled Howa that luke
built for me a shoulder build,, the barrel nut barrels are all Brux 1 and 20 twist, the howa shoulderbuild is an 18 twist Krieger,, the only thing that has been done to these actions at least the remingtons is lapping the lugs, I know that you see the accuracy online of these rifles ,if I'm focused on my shooting all of these rifles shoot as well as any PPC or BR bench rifle that I've ever been behind, I have chosen to shoot the lighter barrel nut barrels and lighter loads,, for me the heavier barreled hot load rigs are for target shooting, just not practical to carry around and deer hunt with,,get a barrelnut barrel from Luke install it on a Remington throw it in a stock get some 300 grain arrow Max bullets from pitman load 59-60 grains of IMR or h4198 and shoot some bullets, you'll be addicted, if I were going to build another gun on a custom action shoulder build I would choose the one in 18 over the one in 20,, I personally think of 1 and 20 or 1 in 18 twist smokeless muzzleloader and some of the 300 to 325 grain bullets that are available is the most accurate bore bullet combination in America today that a lot of shooters have no idea exist, I think I've shot every 6 mil 6.5 22 cal ,, none of them outperformed the 45 Cal smokeless,, and no I'm not talking about thousand yard shooting,, I'm addicted for life
Sounds like we have similar goals with hunting/weight . Im kinda leaning towards a 40 though for my 700ml . Just how much weight do you figure youve dropped compared to a shouldered barrel in the roughly same contour ?? The weight i mentioned earlier was for a 4" shouldered #6 contour w/o brake in 45 @25" . From what ive read as long as you have a bit of length you can just go to a bit slower powder and not give up much compared to a shouldered barrel load and keep pressures down .

Last edited:
I haven't weighed any of the guns, I'll try to do that this week or weekend, I will say this because of the weight issues I find myself grabbing a blackhorn powder rifle for hunting season CVA mountain rifle to be exact, and shooting my smokeless rigs for target practice,I realize that you can hunt with those muzzleloaders even the barrel nut ones that don't weigh as much,and if I'm going to go get in a box stand and sit for 3 hours with a nice level shooting rail to put my gun up then hey I'll hunt with the with the smokeless sometimes,,and for the tough guys I've carried a 12 pound rifle and a deer on my back for 3 or 4 miles many a day,, at 60 year old though I'm just not into that anymore,, buy a smokeless Arrowhead remage barrel throw it on a 700 and start shooting it,, and then help me come up with a 7 lb model,,

Latest posts

Back