Premeasured Charge Holder/Carry

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokeeter

Ontariario
Reaction score
I've commented on this before and thought I would expand on a modification I had made.
I carry my premeasured muzzleloader vial charges in a large rifle shell holder that slips on the buttstock of my rifle. I carry 3 power charges and 3 bullets stacked in a longer vial and the 5th vial is filled with primers.
What is different with this set up is I modified my standard vials to load duplex loads with the addition of a smaller vial that is cut and attached to the opposite end and it will accommodate my booster and the primary charge goes into the standard vial. My duplex load for this rifle is 6gr.(4759) and 50 gr.(I 4198)
I trimmed both vials and then drill the base of the vial and heated the plastic and screwed the threaded portion of the small vial into the softened plastic and the cap secures it in place.
Pics will explain the procedure .
Ovkem0c.jpg

zLlUIpO.jpg

DbXeDB9.jpg

Last edited:
Duplex loads are two different powders. The smaller powder charge goes down the barrel first with the main powder charge going down second (On top of the first charge). The smaller charge is an easier powder to ignite then the main charge and helps to ignite the main powder.

If you have ever used or seen Pyrodex pellets there is a small amount of black powder on the base of the pellet. The black powder base ignites easier then the pyro and helps to ignite the pyro. Actually the pyrodex pellet is a duplex load.

Latest posts

Back