Pretty Tiger on a lure today.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's sure a beauty. There's a very tiny cold water stream not but 20 miles from my home that has a nice population of natural tiger trout in it and I stop there and toss a spinner occasionally. In all the years I have been fishing the stream I have caught two tigers and they were about 8" long. The one in the pic is a dandy. Envious!

I've never heard of tiger trout. Is it some sort of hybrid, or an endangered species? We have Gila trout here in NM, we can catch them, but can't eat them.

Tiger trout occur naturally when brown and brook trout inhabit the same waters. Both are late fall/early winter spawners and sometimes spawn right next to each other if they share the same environment, most likely either eggs or milt washes downstream when one or the other fish spawns out and the eggs or milt end up in a very freshly fertilized nest of the other trout.

I've never heard of tiger trout. Is it some sort of hybrid, or an endangered species? We have Gila trout here in NM, we can catch them, but can't eat them.
I believe these are hybrids that get stocked here locally? But we also have native brown and brookies in the same waters so hard to say?

Back