Primer blowback ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usmc22

Reaction score
Forgive me for the beginner question here but besides making more to clean does primer blow back affect anything?

Im told that it can, in some situations, cause misfires or hangfires with bh209. BH209 likes it well sealed to ignite. I have not had problems with it for the reason tho so it may not be a real concern.

Was just wondering where as some swap out for the breach plugs on their muzzleloaders. Didn’t know if I was missing something else and looking for the “ah ha” moment

I believe if there is blow back then the barrel pressures are not as consistent and it will show up in your group size on paper. JMO
I have blowback in my Accura V2. I hate to do anything to it as it is dead accurate. To shoot 1 inch or better is great for me so I clean a little more.

I have blowback in my Accura V2. I hate to do anything to it as it is dead accurate. To shoot 1 inch or better is great for me so I clean a little more.

Put an o-ring in the primer pocket and shoot it to see if the blow by has been eliminated. Shouldn't change your gun's accuracy or poi. I'm sure someone will pop in here with the o-rings I'm referring to.

Spent primers should come out clean. That way, you know all the energy from the primer is going in the direction of the powder charge to assure complete ignition and get consistent accuracy. . I use an O ring. When I close the action, I get a slight crush on the primer for a good seal. Makes clean up easy too.

Last edited:
I live in Washington. For years the game laws did not allow anything but flint or traditional percussion caps, exposed to the weather. So when I ordered my Accura I got the "Noirthwest" breechplug, which had a musket cap ignition and some holes drilled in it to comply with the exposure part. This was actually a great setup, with very minimal blowback. Later they ok'd shotgun primers so I bought and installed a 209 breech, which required a different firing pin. So this was an expense and a lot of messing around and starting over with loads. Soon I found that the 209 breech was horribly dirty, with unbelievable blowback. After a few shots the whole firing pin and trigger area was thick with burned powder residue, Didn't take long for me to reverse course back to the musket caps

Forgive me for the beginner question here but besides making more to clean does primer blow back affect anything?
I went through this with my Plains Rifle. I have both the CVA Blackhorn breech plug and the Lehigh and with o-rings they still leak gas passed the primer. I was shocked at both of these as a Federal or Winchester primer fits like a saddle on a sow in the hole. My brother's Traditions both brand of primer seat fully in the breech plug. So I decided to go to Arrowhead and get the large rifle primer breech plug they sell in an effort to stop this. The headspacing on these CVA breech plugs is atrocious...I'm very disappointed. When I prime either plug, if I don't have the muzzle down and be very careful when I snap the action shut the primer falls right out. Piss poor design if you ask me. If the Arrowhead plug doesn't fix this issue I'll be saying goodbye to this CVA.

Last edited:
One can easily tighten the head space of CVA rifles by backing out the firing pin bushing. Done correctly, this provides 'crush' to the primer, and makes a seal, stopping blow by.
Oh I get a crush...it's just that I don't like how the primers fit so loosely in the breech plug...the Traditions breech plug comes right out to the the face of the action and the primer seats fully into the breech plug. A much smarter design in my mind...the Arrowhead large rifle primer breech plug is the same as the Traditions in that the face of the plug is tight against the firing pin bushing. Fundamentally better all around.

Last edited:
My CVAs have a fairly loose fit between the breech plug and primer. For me, it's no factor. They group fantastically and are very reliable when maintained properly. A little cleaning doesn't bother me at all.

I have, however, heard of guys giving 209 primers a wrap or two of Teflon tape to get a tight fit into the breech plug- anyone got experience with that?

Ive never heard that. Teflon tape around the breech plug threads is common tho. Theres a little oring you can put inside the primer pocket in the breech plug. Doesn't tighten the primer but it does seal it up and stop the blowby from coming out and dirtying the breech.

Ive never heard that. Teflon tape around the breech plug threads is common tho. Theres a little oring you can put inside the primer pocket in the breech plug. Doesn't tighten the primer but it does seal it up and stop the blowby frim coming out and dirtying the breech.

Same general idea, probably. Teflon tape pretty inert to temp changes, so I wouldn't imagine it would stick or melt or gum anything up. Might give that little guy a try for myself next range day. If nothing else, it'd provide a better seal to keep ambient moisture away from your loaded charge.

Here is the o ring .it works I have no blow back now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201128-134626_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201128-134626_Chrome.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 24
I have enough trouble getting Teflon tape onto threads never mind wrapping a primer. I’d never be able to do it unless there’s a trick or a tool for it.

Would certainly take some degree of finesse, but no more than hand trickling a charge. As a guy who's into blackpowder specifically because of the doors it opens for hunting, I usually fire about ten rounds a year. So, if the one round my hunting season depends on takes an extra minute or two to load, all good on my end. In any case, I'll update with how it goes!

Back