Primer crush

Discussion in 'Inline Muzzleloading' started by ourway77, Mar 16, 2019.

Modern Muzzleloader

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

1. Mar 16, 2019 #1

ourway77

ourway77

ourway77

I have a Knight SML and another Knight subs gun Both are getting quite a bit blow back on the primers I took the bolts apart to make sure they were clean Is it possible I didn't reassemble them back to where they would get more crush on the primers? I have no gap between the firing pin housing and the bolt housing Both parties I bought them from I am sure said that the primers come out very clean HELP Thanks Lou

2. Mar 16, 2019 #2

herschel conyers

herschel conyers

herschel conyers

Supporter Supporter

3. Mar 16, 2019 #3

ourway77

ourway77

ourway77

So by putting a gap between the bolt and the firing pin till I get a good crush? So the bolt face will force the primer into the hole more? One thing on both rifles I had to remove the bolts each time to get the primers out If I remember years ago when I had Knight rifles after firing all I did was turn the rifle side ways and the primers fell out?

4. Mar 16, 2019 #4

LarryBud

LarryBud

LarryBud

You want to have a slight crush on the primers when you close the bolt. Above, Sabotloader describes how to shim the pocket and use the feel of the bolt closing to accomplish the crush. I measure the primer out if the box and then after closing the bolt. I add shims until I get .005 of a crush. You will also feel it in the bolt pressure.

The stuck primer is a whole different thing. The pressure of your load is forcing the primer back into your firing pin hole. Dry fire it and it and the primer should fall out. Not much you can do to fix it but change loads and primers until it doesn’t do it. Or change your priming system.

Hope this helps.

herschel conyers likes this.
  5. Mar 16, 2019 #5

bestill

bestill

bestill

Adjusting firing pin in bolt assembly wont help primer crush.

Firing pin assembly should be screwed all the way in then back out at least one turn then align detent notch.

Use federal 209a primer.
    Make sure flame channel is clean with 5/32 drill all way to flash hole.
    Make sure bolt handle is completely closed.
    Verify flash hole is. 031 to .038

To remove primer cycle bolt and restrike primer with firing pin

6. Mar 16, 2019 #6

ourway77

ourway77

ourway77

Thanks LarryBud and Bestill I had the firing pin assembly screwed all the way in. I was using Federal 209-A primers

7. Mar 16, 2019 #7

LarryBud

LarryBud

LarryBud

Excellent point on the flash hole impacting a stuck primer, if it too large, you'll have excess pressure back on the primer.

herschel conyers likes this.
  8. Mar 17, 2019 #8

alternate

alternate

alternate

The flame channel in an inline functions much the same as the delayed blowback system in a pistol. Upon ignition the pressure in the barrel leaks thru the flash hole and starts building up pressure in the flame channel. Before the pressure can build to the point where it makes the primer stick the bullet exits the bore and the pressure drops right back. The volume in the flame channel is a key component of this system and if it has reduced volume due to fouling the pressure will rise more rapidly than designed and caused sticky primers. An oversized flash hole will also raise pressures faster than designed with the same result.

michiganmuzzy and Busta like this.
  9. Mar 17, 2019 #9

SCHUNTER

SCHUNTER

SCHUNTER

If the Knight sml is the one I sold you use Winchester 209 and it will be perfectly clean. I had no problem with the primers sticking with the loads I shot with either Federal 209A or the Winchesters.